Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMy guppy is the virgin mary
Alaska
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 9
Votes: 6
female usa
Okay, so I admit the subject is an attention getter, but I swear that is the first thing that I thought when I walked in my door this morning after being away for the weekend to find that my guppy that has been living only with frogs for the last month and a half... is a momma.
Now, I'm no fool, and I've been keeping fish for a very long time, so I did know that it was a possibility when I bought a female guppy. But after the "28 days" passed with no real sign of any pregnancy, I figured I got lucky (which of course means that she didn't,).
I haven't kept guppies in a long time, and I've never raised guppy fry. It would be sad if these two (yeah, only two seem to have made it) were to die, so I'm looking for suggestions as to how to set up some sort of fry rearing tank out of normal household things, since I am really crazy busy and have no time to make the long trip to the lfs.
I'm thinking I could use my big glass mixing bowl as a tank. It's new and I've never washed it, so there shouldn't be any soap residue. Just a quick rinse, maybe a soak in dechlorinated water.
Any ideas?

"Mary", "the Twins", and I thank you-

~~<><~~><>~~
"When push comes to shove, you gotta do what you love, even if it's not a good idea"
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2008 00:08Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
here there alaska!

get a one gallon jar. feed crushed flakes and keep a live plant or two in with them. (hornwort or duckweed are good!) and do a 10%-30% WC weekly....

this should suffice until they get larger...
they wont grow the fastest, but they will grow none the less.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2008 02:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
In a one gallon jar you could even do water changes daily; remember to keep the water similar to avoid shock. Many people do water changes daily or multiple times daily on fry tanks, even on 10 gallon aquariums. On the flip side they are guppy fry, which are hardier and more resistant to waste than other fry types.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2008 05:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Alaska
-----
Fingerling
female usa
I suppose if I do daily water changes I won't need filtration?

~~<><~~><>~~
"When push comes to shove, you gotta do what you love, even if it's not a good idea"
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2008 06:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
actually if you took 50% of the water and switched it with water form your tank you could get way with that... and that would make it easier for you to dump them back into the mother tank once they are mature...

Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2008 06:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Alaska
-----
Fingerling
female usa
I stopped by my lfs today. This is the setup I've got going:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc220/XaatLovesSalmon/Picture2-1.png?t=1205368963

I'm going to let it bubble overnight then move 'em on in!
Thanks for everyone's help. I'm hoping the two of them turn out to be either both males or both females so I can keep them together.

~~<><~~><>~~
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2008 02:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Breeders that do daily water changes do have filtration, granted filtration normally is sponge filtration. Also, they usually have more than two fry, so you probably won't have a huge issue.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2008 03:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
looks good!

Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2008 04:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies