L# So I gots me some guppies
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSo I gots me some guppies
Troy_Mclure
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 306
male australia
I had an empty 3 foot tank with some plants in it and decided to throw a few (5) guppies in to see how quickly they will breed and fill it up.

anyway, in your experience, how quickly will they breed up?

Do I have to get java moss for the fry to live in? Can I just get by with all the crypts? I dont really like java moss.
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 02:11Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
They will breed quickly, and will fill up the tank in less than a year, providing that they all survive. For the fry to live in, you could use any fine leafed, or many leafed plant. The crypts are not too good IMO. Too largely spaced in between. ANother option is large river rocks, about 2-3 inches in diameter. Make them into small little caves, and then silicon them together, or just plop them in, and let it settle. That way, they can hide from predators, and dine on leftover food that falls to the cave. If you dont have predators, you can just let them be. They dont need JM and will have cover in the plants. Since you only have neons, im sure that after 2 weeks it will be large enough to survive on its own. Good luck and congrats on the guppys!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 04:19Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Troy

Floating water sprite is excellent. Try to get some if not contact me in about one months time and I will have enough for you. What mix did you get M & FM??

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 04:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Feeding them good quality food will always help.

I had a female guppy in a tank, by herself, for 6 months. Then fed some Cyclops-eeze mixed in with regular flake (since it's so ) few days later I had fry .

Anything fine leaved and floating is good, I'm not a huge fan of java moss either but a small amount near the bottom will help as well. I've had fry that like the top and some that like the bottom.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 22:43Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Troy_Mclure
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 306
male australia
EditedEdited by Troy_Mclure
Thanks for the replys guys

Keith: I would definitely take you up n that plant offer as my lfs only caters to the cichlid crowd and I have not foud water sprite anywhere around here. The M&F mix is one male 4 females to keep him busy. he is a nice looking fish - kind of rainbowish blue is his primary collour at the front leading to a bright yellow tail.

Babel: I will definitely look up where I can get my hhand s on come cyclop-ezze as I have been reading about it today while I should have been working

in the meantime I might go find some wisteria as goby mentioned one time.

Thanks all
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2007 12:11Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
That's how i also started with Livebearers..... had an empty tank & raught i would like some colourful, easy to keep fish & finished up with some Molly's, Guppy's & Swordtails.

The fry need some floating plants & most of them will survive there. Sometimes i catch some & give them away & by staying around the floating plants, they'll be quite easy to catch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2007 10:12Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies