AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Livebearers Lane
  L# guppies, do I need to know anything??
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribeguppies, do I need to know anything??
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I am thinking of having a few guppies in my 55g set up. It will be (I hope) a peaceful community set up with shoals of various tetras, a few small gouramis and if I can find them... Bolivian Rams.

Is there anything I need to know about keeping guppies?? Do's? Don'ts?

I am thinking of the fancy blue ones...
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2008 04:06Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I dont think many fry will survive in that tank to start of with. It will help if you have a fair amount of floating plants like Water Sprite. Also you might consider some fry type holders until they get bigger. Just remember this when the fry survive there will be plenty of Guppies in the tank. I would start off with 2 males and at least 6 females. Or 1M & 3FMs

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2008 03:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
If you do not wish to breed you can just stock all males.
Quaranteen all new ones for 2 weeks. Cannot impress this strongly enough, from someone who lost most of their guppies through columnaris when just one nice male was introduced straight into the main tank.
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2008 10:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
yea, I needed to be clearer, I have no desire to have guppies for the purpose of breeding. If it happens, ok fine... So, I was thinking of just getting males.

Good point on the columnaris/q-tine Bren, thanks! Thing is... I need a Q tank. Oh well, I guess I will just have to go get another 10g, what's a self-respecting fishkeeper to do?? lol
Post InfoPosted 10-May-2008 13:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amilner
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 654
Votes: 0
male uk
All male set-ups tend to lead to probs - they nip each others fins. I know that they are as peaceful as a fish can get, but when the 'testosterone' kicks in.....
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2008 02:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies