Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribeguppy poll
Thursday
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 32
Votes: 4
female usa
Yes... my guppies have been pregnant 'bout 5 times... I have NEVER found any fry.

If pets are so stupid, how did they weasel free room and board out of us?
Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2006 02:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Depends. If I left my female in a tank with 1 or 2 males then after giving birth all the adults were too busy breeding again. I probably had a 90% survival rate on all those batches of fry. When I no longer wanted the female to get pregnant and did not put males in the tank with the females that were due then I'd only get about 3-5 surviving fry. Under the right circumstances they will leave their fry alone but it seems most of the time they pick off at least a few of them.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2006 09:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
JQW
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 758
male australia
I personally will say yes based on my own experience and the way nature works.

But as a matter of fact, my grandpa has kept and bred guppies for years without adults eating babies. What he does is get a glass jar and put a male guppy in the bare jar, the pregnant female is allowed to give birth in main tank, and fry is netted out as soon as they leave the female's stomach and transfered into the jar with the male.

The male and the fry will be supplied with live red worm. Supposingly the male is more interested in the worm than fry. And also aparently, some times worm will get chewed and spit out, so small enough for the fry to eat. Not sure if the male is really trying to help the fry or just spitting out food regardless.

Pretty neat i thought.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2006 14:03Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1951
Votes: 137
lol, turns out, all the fish that are raised with guppies, wont even eat misquito larve...they get hit in the face and everything..kinda sucks though, becasue then the larve have to be removed before they change
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 05:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
My answer is 40% yes and 60% no..Most of the times its the other fish (may or may not be guppies) that eat the fry. Mothers usually leave them alone if they are fed well..I put some bloodworms in the breeding net right after it starts delivering so it may have an easier source of food.
But for the fry to survive later, the only choice is to separate them.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2006 15:49Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies