AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Marine Aquaria
 L# Marine Setup
  L# Any problems doing this with SW?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAny problems doing this with SW?
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
http://picasaweb.google.com/fishbon3/Crabitat

^^ I'm thinking about doing something along those lines as a mangrove tank, but on a smaller scale. The above setup is brackish, but pretty much checks all the boxes for land/sand access. So far, it is one of 2 that I've seen that are anywhere near ideal for keeping crabs.

Can anyone think of anything that should be done differently in order to make that work with SW?

I'd guess that most of the feeding and moulting would be done on land, so the actual bioload that the water section would need to sustain should be fairly minimal. The substrate should be about 2-3" deep and of a large grain size, so shouldn't compact too badly and (judging by land hermit crabitats anyway) seems to cycle reasonably quickly.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2008 19:05Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I think you know that the sand has to be a calcium carbonate sand, and I'm not positive that "pool filter sand" is always made of calcium carbonates......other than that, it looked like a nice tank. I was impressed at the foresight the creator had to place some window screening so the crabs could climb up. Otherwise glass is too slippery for most crabs.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2008 16:02Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies