SubscribeDusk/Dawn Simulation?
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on here, hope everybody is doing good.

Anyways, the reason I'm back on here is because I've finally had it with my cheap Odyssea lights. The end caps for the bulbs are pathetic and it will only light 3 out of my 4 bulbs now. So I finally bit the bullet and ordered an IceCap retrofit kit. It's a 4' 4 bulb fixture run by the 660 ballast.

So here's my question. Since the ballast only has one power cord, will I still be able to simulate dusk/dawn with my actinics, or will I only be able to turn on all of the bulbs(2 10,000K 2 actinic) at once? The one good thing about my previous fixture was that it had an integrated digital timer on it, so that wasn't a problem. I haven't actually gotten the lights yet, so maybe it explains how to wire it so I could do this, but just thought I'd ask since I know some of you have done this before.
Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2010 20:09Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Wiring is a bit of a pain, and unfortunately, one ballast means one cord....which means all the lights pop on together. Nevertheless, you will be impressed with the amount of light that the 660 will produce. I'd recommend using UV Lighting's bulbs as they are designed to be overdriven with the 660 ballast and will last longer. A fan blowing across the bulbs will increase their life as well.

For the wiring, just pay attention to the wiring diagram on the ballast. It's pretty self explanitory, but requires a bit of work.

For dusk/dawn maybe get some ecoxotic stunners for the tank. I have a couple for my 90g and they are pretty sweet.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2010 02:49Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
Yeah, I found that out a little while after I posted the question. Oh well, it'll be worth losing that effect for the increased light output and penetration with the reflectors.

The lights should get here tomorrow before I go to work, but I may not be able to set them up until Thursday or Friday. Wiring shouldn't be a problem, as I've done it before for my PC lighting on the freshwater. I'll be sure to post some pics of the tank for you guys after I get it set up and the corals adjust.
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2010 04:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
There is a "dimmer" box that can be purchased, or at least there use to be (I might still have one) that controls the Icecap VHO ballast for the dusk/dawn simulation.

All it does is it regulates the power and gradually raises the light output for sunrise and lowers it for sunset.

Ill check and see if I still have it, and if I do I will post who makes it and see if I can find a link to it
Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2010 06:24Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies