Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFirst Time Salty
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 108
Votes: 52
male usa
as others have called it im going to the dark side. i scored a deal on a 75G reef ready and stand ($330 brand new)i have been searching for all the ins and out of equipment i need but i had a question about water flow. i here 10x tanks size is appropiate water flow is that for filtration or just amount of current needed. the reason i ask would be able to use a lower rated pump, in combination with power heads instead of using one big pump?
a buddy of mine recomended that i get a magdrive (mag 12) for my tank but i also noticed the hefty price tag

*click *flash *click "whered he go???"
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2007 11:40Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
The one thing you have to make sure is that your overflow will be able to handle the mag 12. I'm not sure it will to be honest, though it might.

You can definitely use powerheads in combination to your return pump for flow. However 10X turnover isn't really that much if you are planning a reef setup. You'll really need quite a bit more than that. I'd get whatever the highest rated pump your overflow can handle and then have a couple high rated powerheads....maybe two koralia 4s would be good.

Welcome to the dark side.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2007 14:25Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
ok so the high water flow isnt needed just for filtration. its more for the reef. in that case what flow rating should i be looking for from a pump. my overflow has a 1" hole and a 11/2". with the stand and tank im looking at 5-6ft. of head. can anyone recommend what rating pump and or any specific pumps i should look at. and matty my wallet thanks you for telling me not to get the mag 12.

Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2007 01:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I think you'll be between a mag 7 and 9 for optimal flow.

I think 1" (the larger hole is for the drain) drains can only handle 600 gallons per hour. I'm not exactly positive here though. You'll lose a 200ish gallons per hour I'd guess due to head loss, elbows, and other fittings.

I'd personally get the mag 9 and split the return - one to the display and one back to the sump. The one running back to the sump can have a ball valve to regulate the amount of flow going to the tank.

Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2007 03:08Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
EditedEdited by sodaaddict84
whats the return to the sump for? is it to relieve pressure. or for filtration such as uv, and chiller?

if its for uv or chiller i already have a secondary for that. i just need a primary to the tank. is there any other brand pumps comparable to the mag drives?

one other thing whats the second hole for? i thought they where both used as drains

Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2007 03:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
The other hole is generally used as the return.

The return back to the sump is to reduce the amount of water going into the display.

I suppose you could use the second hole as another drain and plumb the return over the back of the tank.

I'm not really familiar with other pumps. So I couldn't really help you out with that.

Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2007 05:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
i see. that makes sense so that way there is no plumbing out side of the tank. if i plumb the return through the second small hole i sill need a bulkhead to seal the hole right?

Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2007 06:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Sure do.

Sounds like you got the hang of this

Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2007 17:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
yeah right after i read your post last night i saw i picture of someones setup and i saw one bulkhead drain, and the other for a return and it all made sense.(im a very visual learner)

no that i got an idea of plumbing and water flow i need help with lighting. im starting out as a fowlr tank, with intentions of doing a reef tank in the future. i have read up on some corals, and see that they have low med and high light requirments. my prolem is these terms are reletive. i cant find a standard for low/med/high lighting. so when it says moderate lighting that means what in terms of watts. i got a 75g that im setting up and i cant figure out what lighting to stick up top. im looking at the 48"corlife pc unit, with 4x65w would 260w over 75g be enough. or am i destined for mh lighting? my beef with mh is that my preffered viewing time is in the evening/night time after work, which is also the time my fiance likes to watch tv. the tank and the tv share one wall of the room. with mh lighting i fear we will need sunglasses to watch the television.

Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2007 18:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 86
Votes: 0
male usa
Welcome to the SW side. Here is a post from a friend of mine with equipment suggestions and ideas. Hope all goes well.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=76139
Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2007 20:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
It's easier for us to fit you a lighting scheme to the types of corals you would like to keep.

If you want sps,at least 2X150w halides with additional actinic supplementation or 6X54w T5HO will be necessary.

Lps, softies, and a few carefully selected and placed sps would do well under 4X110w VHO, 4X65w PC, 4X54w T5HO, would all be good choices. In the last group, the T5HO would probably be the most light, followed by the VHO, and then the PC. I probably wouldn't attempt any sps with the pc setup on that tank. Also, the T5s would need good individual parabolic reflectors to be classified as such.

HTH
Matt

Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2007 05:09Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
since i cant really afford halides and a chiller, and the electric bill is alreay high im gonna have to settle with low light. so that would be lps's right? i was looking at the coralife 4x65 pc 2 are 10,000k and the other 2 are actinic. would this be sufficient? i also have a 36" dual T5 unit

Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2007 08:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
The pc unit, as stated above, would be fine for a lps/softy tank.

I'd suggest two 4' T5HO bulbs with individual parabolic reflectors for an lps/softy tank.

Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2007 23:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
thanks for the suggestions ill look in to it. im also looking for a cheap but strong stand. any suggestions on where to go, or websites to look at.

Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2007 09:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies