L# I bought a ro/di unit!!! Cuple of pointers please
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeI bought a ro/di unit!!! Cuple of pointers please
alfieferenzo84
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 32
male usa
cuple of quick things they say to hook it up to cold water well that is about 55F and the membrance calls for 77f at 50psi so how do you make that happin?

Sense this unit will strip the water down to lower then 5tds would i need to use extra stuff or would the salt be good enough for trace stuff? What salt do you all recommend?

For the first water change should i do like only 25% or just do a major change to get the tank on track? And there on how much should i do? Its a 75 fowlr .15 ammonia, nitrates are 15 the only things i can test now

How long can water be stored for?

Should top off water have buffer or just let it go?

Just some questions off the top of my head sense this is new and i am reding back and forth stuff so i figure i would ask you all for your personal thoughts and what you do! Thanks

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2571255/2
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2007 15:08Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
You just hook the RO unit up to a faucet or spigot somewhere. Hopefully you remembered to get the faucet adapter like I said, and you should only have to buy a thread adapter at HD, or the one that you can get at the lfs that is made for the python water changer. If your water pressure isn't quite 50-60psi your water will be produced a little slower and won't be as good quality. But you shouldn't worry too much if it's say 40psi like mine is.

The salt has plenty of buffer.

I would do as many 10% water changes as you can. Say a couple times a week for a while until your water looks better.

If aerated you can store the water indefinitely, but I like to make the water as soon before a water change as possible....about 24hrs.

Top off water could contain kalkwasser or something like that if you have the need, but since you just have a FOWLR I'd just keep the top off as pure water.

Congrats on your purchase...I know you will love it and the positive effects it will have on your inhabitants. BTW, which RO unit did you buy?

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2007 23:49Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
alfieferenzo84
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
EditedEdited by alfieferenzo84
custom one made to my specs shipped to the door 130.44

10 micron sed.
5 mic carbon
1 mic carbon
100 gpd de desal membrance(didnt carry fimtec owell)
2 di unit but there side way witch sucks but for the price it should be a zero tds system and i also got the inline 2 tds meter

So you think i should do alot of small changes vs like 2 large 1 a mo?

I also added 10lb of some very good live rock cured at lfs and when the guy ring it up he hit 6 insted of 9 so i got my rock very cheap too! What a lucky day now i cant wait to get changing water and enjoying the tank insted of playing games!

I already see stuff on the glass from the new rock little bugs, my water now aint so bad but that will change

Thanks for your help! and btw is that your tank in the other post with tons of pics?

oh and more good news for me not my parents house but my tap is putting out 70psi!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am going to ditch the canister soon maybe just run carbon in it

also going to trade the seaclone for a AquaC Remora skimmer in the next mo. so i think my tank will get alot better over the next 3mo.

Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2007 01:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
A lot of smaller changes would be better, especially because they get you in the habit of doing water changes. If you do changes just once a month and then miss one, you might (as I do) rationalize and decide you can make up for it with an even bigger change "next month". Not a good strategy for overall cleanliness, so I'd stick with the smaller frequent changes.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2007 03:02Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
alfieferenzo84
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
i see your points!!!

But for the first water change should it be big to get most of the stuff out of the tank?

I understand to do alot of changes and ect over a mo but i am talking about the day after i get the unit and have water made i thought it would be a good idea to do say 25-40gal the first day just to knock everything out of the tank then do water changes every week doing 10-25% intil everything is inline then lower it 2 every 2wks if condition allow you know, i just thought the first change should be big but i donno thats why i asked but i think you all are thinking i am asking over a mo period what should i do right or am i wrong?

Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2007 15:11Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies