SubscribeNano Reef
Gilligan
---------------
Mega Fish
I love you Alena
Kudos: 555
Votes: 50
male usa
I'm want to set up a Nano Reef. The tank I am looking at is a 12G Nano Cube from JBJ. I already have a 55 reef but this is just something I have wanted to do for a while.

Ideas for stocking (Corals/Inverts/fish)

These are just things I am looking at not all in at once.

Fish

Royal Grama
Purple Fire Fish
Clown Goby

Coral

Green Star's
Brain
Zoas
Leather
Some sort of shrooms

Inverts

8-12 Blue legs
1 Coral Banded
3 Skunk Cleaners

Ideas will be greatly appreciated.

"Party it up, Drink it down"
Post InfoPosted 01-Nov-2006 00:39Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Report 
freshreef
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
Votes: 1
male usa
I would take either the royal gramma or fire fish out(to many for 12 galls) and maybe some snails? (to help with the glass, SW snails are not pesty like FW snails) but I congrats you on doing this I want to do a nano as well and might turn my 5gall into a reef so will be watching your progress GOOD LUCK

29gall-2 bolivian rams, 6 neon tetra, 4 lemon tetra, 2 lamp eye tetra, 6 black skirt tetra(which are rescues...long story, but finding good home soon), 4 zebra danio 10gall, pretty much nothing but plants....2gall-female betta
1gall-female betta
Post InfoPosted 01-Nov-2006 04:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gilligan
---------------
Mega Fish
I love you Alena
male usa
I dont want all the stocking list in the tank, They were just some I liked and I was throwing them out there. Thanks for the ideas though./:'

Post InfoPosted 01-Nov-2006 05:02Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Leathers usually will get too big too fast for a nano, I'd say the same thing about something like...xenia for example. Unless you want a tank full of xenia. gsp are pretty similar, but can be a little slower growing IMO. Personally I'd try some slower growing LPS like blastos or acans or echinos or something to that effect. They will be a bit easier to control size wise, but a little more demanding to keep healthy. Zoas and shrooms would make good nano corals, and so would a brain depending on the type. A small open brain or favites would probably do best IMO.

I also agree that 1-2 small fish is max in there. It's pretty tough to stock a small tank like that successfully. Another thing about the stocking is the # and mix of shrimp you have. I'd not get the coral banded due to size and possible aggression towards other shrimp. I've seen a picture of an adult coral banded in a 20H tank. Its antennae were almost sticking out of the top of the tank while it was behind some rock near the bottom. If you wanted to get a skunk cleaner, I'd personally only get 1. 2 would be stretching it IMO for territory and comfort for the shrimp. I have seen them buddy up before, so it's possible they can get along. Nassarius and astrea snails would be a nice addition to the cleanup crew though.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 01-Nov-2006 05:26Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Gilligan
---------------
Mega Fish
I love you Alena
male usa
Thanks, do you think that I could have a Maxima Clam possibly? I would upgrade the lights of course

Post InfoPosted 01-Nov-2006 05:30Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
The size of clam you would be able to house in that small tank wouldn't be very photosynthetic anyways. They are mainly filter feeders up until 4 inches I beleive. The process of feeding the small ones in that small of a tank could really have a negative impact on water quality. Gotta keep nano tanks simple.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 01-Nov-2006 23:27Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies