L# New saltwater tank
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew saltwater tank
casperjoker
-----
Fingerling
Votes: 0
male canada
If my gravity and salinity are "ok" can I add my LR into the tank even if it still cloudy becuase of the salt???
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2006 22:34Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Let the salt mix with the water for at least 24hrs before adding live rock. If your water isn't clear after that amount of time, then you should add some carbon and filter floss to try and take out fine particles, and make sure your sand isn't being kicked up by powerheads or filters.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2006 22:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
casperjoker
-----
Fingerling
male canada
EditedEdited by casperjoker
Thanks for the fast reply I appreciate it

I have my LR in a foam box the LR has water and some damp newspaper that how the LFS wrap it so I can bring it home since Thursday 26 oct how long could it last like that?? Because I have some uncured and cured Fiji LR.

P.S The LR uncured was curing before I got it for about a month in the LFS
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2006 22:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gilligan
---------------
Mega Fish
I love you Alena
Kudos: 555
Votes: 50
male usa
The Live rock can survive healthy in that state you have it in for a few days depending on how damp it is, but it is best to have live rock in water.

"Party it up, Drink it down"
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2006 23:43Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
casperjoker
-----
Fingerling
male canada
One other thing this mornig i notice this black and white spot on th LR and the water cloudy Do i scrape the black and white spot in side the tank and siphon it or should i just leave it there??? Oh can i add a HOB with only active carbon so the smell will be less and to clear the water And should i do water changes while my tank is cycling????
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2006 21:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 431
Votes: 145
male usa
First of all, did you clear the rock before you put it in your tank? You definitely should clean off all the loose (dead) stuff before putting it in your tank.

Decaying matter with add ammonia to your tank. ALWAYS get decaying matter out of your tank.

Have you not had any filtration during your cycling?!?!??!?! No HOB filter?! No powerhead?!

Most people say no to water changes during the cycling process. Do you have test kits to test the water? If so, what are the parameters?

On a side note, how long have you had an aquarium (out of curiousity)?

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2006 00:40Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
casperjoker
-----
Fingerling
male canada
Well I bought some uncured LR and some cured LR from the same LFS the uncured was curing for about month and the cured one was in their fish tank. When I bought them they didn’t stink and nothing noticeable as dead.

I’m cycling my tank with this LR no fish no nothing just the LR. For the water parameters ammonia is at 0.25 and for the nitrites I don't think there’s any reading because I put the LR in last Saturday, also gravity is at 1.022.

And I had aquariums for more then 15 years (freshwater) this is my first saltwater aquarium.
Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2006 03:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
male usa
Do you have a filter and/or powerheads going in the aquarium so there is some circulation for the water? It's ok to use a HOB filter with charcoal, most would recommend that

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2006 05:56Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
casperjoker
-----
Fingerling
male canada
Just 2 powerheads one maxi jet 400 and a mj 600
Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2006 07:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
male usa
If you have water moving then it sounds like it's all a waiting game now. I would probably throw a HOB filter on however.

Just watch your levels and when you have zero ammonia and nitrites you are ready to go.

Saltwater tanks take a little longer to cycle. Patience is the key, like all fishkeeping.

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2006 20:12Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies