Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSetting up my Orbit Lights
dredd969
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 22
Votes: 4
male usa
I'm not sure if anyone can help me with this but I want to set up my new Orbit lighting system for my SW tank. It has the ability to be set up to provide a dusk 'till dawn effect. I have the 3 timers for each set of bulbs (white, blue and luner led's). It says in the manual that this is possible but they don't say how. I also wrote Current, but got no response. If anyone can help me that would be great thanks. p.s. Really, the order that the need to be set up on the timers is what I need.
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2006 01:50Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Start with how long you want your day to be. 10-12hrs is normal for your whites to be on. Then have the actinics come on a couple hours before the whites and turn off a couple hours after. The lunar lights you want to come on when the actinics turn off, and you want the lunar lights to turn off when the actinics come on.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2006 05:20Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
Are you having trouble deciding on the photoperiod?

Or are you having actual technical trouble with getting the lights on the proper timers?

And what types of timers are you using? Home Depot like timers that one would see on a Christmas tree for example?

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 01:44Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
dredd969
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 22
Votes: 4
male usa
EditedEdited by dredd969
Yeah all of the above. This is my first SW tank and im just trying to get the best information possible. Anything you can tell me about lighting would be great.Also, what are the best timers you would suggest?? All I have are just the regular ones like you said, from Menards. I cant use them because they only accept is regular 2 pin plugs, and the lights I have all have 3.
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 04:08Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
I use a reefkeeper to control my lights. It's much more accurate and easier to configure IMO.

Since I'm a student, I've arranged my photoperiod to start a little later in the day so that I'm actually around to see my tank lit up.

My actinic lights come on around 12. They stay on for 2 hours before my metal halides turn on. The MHs turn off at 8 I believe, and then the actinics turn off 2 hours later, at 10 PM. At that time, my sump/fuge flouros turn on, and if I had my moonlights running, they'd turn on.

I hear it's good to have a period of absolute darkness in a tank at night. Dont know how true that is, but I might take that into consideration when I configure my LEDs.

HTH.

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 15:10Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies