SubscribeSlightly Used SW Tank Question
Fish On The Brains
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 126
Votes: 65
male canada ca-ontario
Helllloooo all!

It's been a long while since I last posted on FP here, haven't had a tank on the go during the past 4 years or so, and the last time I had one it was FW. I just picked up a slightly used Oceanic Bio Cube 8 aquarium from a friend of mine. I will be setting it up as a small reef aquarium - not sure if it will be fishless It's been empty for months now, and he never really did get it established.

Going to be cleaning it out soon, there's a little bit of dust that got in while in storage, and what looks to be some dried up salt deposits here and there. What should I do to clean the inside up? And I will be replacing the media when I fire it up - good idea no?

Glad to be back on FP, and look forward to getting involved in others topics

Regards,

Jason
Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2010 01:30Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I'd use tap water to rinse out and some white vinegar to get rid of the salt deposits. Vinegar gets that stuff out pretty good and rinses out really easily.

I'd also toss the media. Go ahead and get new stuff and use some live rock to start establishing the tank.

Welcome back to the hobby

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2010 01:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Fish On The Brains
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 126
Votes: 65
male canada ca-ontario
Thanks for the reply there mattyboombatty - I've noticed how quite it is on FP now, not like it ever use to be!

Well I got some white vinegar, so I'll use that probably later today. Not going to be setting it up quite yet, will wait until I have the money for that, and do some more reading up on nano setups - I'm worried that an 8 gal. is going to be to small to start off with. There's a 29 gal. version also, but my friend just gave this to me, so that's a bonus Thanks once again! And I will take and post some photos (macro) once I get it going.

Regards,

Jason
Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2010 16:52Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies