Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStocking First Marine Aquarium
Barb Boy
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 17
Votes: 1
male canada
i am getting a 25-30 gallon marine aquarium and i want to know what a hardy, non agresive beginer speices would be.
Post InfoPosted 21-May-2007 23:36Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
A couple occelaris or (not and) percula clowns would be a nice choice for a beginners fish. Many gobies and blennies would also fall into the category, and cardinal fish are usully pretty sturdy. Certain wrasse will do well, but are less hardy.

Fish choices in that size tank are very limited, and I'd also only suggest 3 fish, 4 at the most if you have a real nice setup with lots of live rock, a skimmer, etc.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 22-May-2007 00:04Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
Cheap and very hardy, are the Chromis. Very nice blues and greens. And they are the perfect size to keep 3-4 in that size tank. Probably the best beginner fish out there.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 22-May-2007 00:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 86
Votes: 0
male usa
Post InfoPosted 22-May-2007 21:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Chromis would be one of the more bulletproof species but kinda boring to watch after awhile. A pair of the small clowns would be a bit more interesting and you could probably also add a very small goby. You do have to watch the gobies since some can get quite large or are too destructive for a small tank. They'll shift the entire sandbed and rearrange any small rocks. Liveaquaria has quite a few marine fish listed by type and sections for beginner and nano fish.http://liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=15

Also consider if you want any shrimp or other inverts since some species like the hawkfish are generally a very bad idea with inverts. A good cleanup crew made up of various inverts can be extremely useful but your effort will be wasted if you then add fish that eat them. http://www.reefland.com/rho/0305/medprod3.php
Post InfoPosted 22-May-2007 23:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Re: the link above, I wouldn't recommend a lot of those as beginner species. Angels, cleaner wrasse, and seahorses are not beginner species really.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 25-May-2007 04:07Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
I agree with you there Matty, I only saw like one or two per page that are what you might call a beginner fish. Definitely not a good beginner refference.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 25-May-2007 04:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 86
Votes: 0
male usa
Yes the seahorses have to be in a species only tank but the point of the link was to show fish that would do good in a 30 gallon tank. You`ll need to look and research which fish are easy and for beginners.Many of those fish are easier than you think.
Post InfoPosted 25-May-2007 04:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies