SubscribeWater Changing???
RIFIFOOL
-----
Fingerling
Myspace.Com/Sheereen726
Kudos: 16
Votes: 26
female usa
I have a 10 gallon marine tank. It has two fish and one anemone in it [not sure if metioning that matters or not. haha!] I was just wondering how often should I be changing the water and cleaning that rocks on the bottom? And most importantly, can you tell me how to do it without making it difficult on myself? Because I'm not exactly sure how to do it in the first place.

1 Ocellaris Clown: $14.95...1 Pink Dottyback: $12.99...1 Three Striped Damsel: $4.50...1 Blue Velvet Damsel: $8.95
The Problems that come with them: Priceless
Post InfoPosted 23-May-2007 03:24Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Kinda depends on the size of those fish, your feeding habits, and the filtration on the tank but probably about weekly. You shouldn't see much buildup of material around the rocks between water changes and watch the anemone. It will be the first thing to act sickly if you aren't doing things right.

To do water changes you need to mix up the salt with preferably pure water(RO or distilled) in a seperate container like a clean 5g bucket with a powerhead or water pump for mixing and a heater to bring it to the same temp as your tank. Best to leave it mixing overnight although in an emergency a couple hours is usually fine and test the salt level with a hydrometer or refractometer before starting your water change. Use the tube from a gravel vac or some other similar tubing to suck out the water and any junk around the rocks or on top of the sandbed. By junk I mean the detritus or organic material that's usually a light brown color and will collect in any indent along the rock or in the sand. Simple way to get the suction started on a gravel vac tube is to dunk it in a bucket of water, cap both ends with your thumbs, put one end in the tank, the other down in the bucket your emptying water into, and release both ends. Won't disturb the tank hardly at all that way. When your done add the new water slowly to avoid stirring things up(pouring it onto a higher rock area provided it doesn't have any corals or anemone on it helps) or if you have a sump add to there first and you won't bother the tank at all. Double check salinity or any other tests like nitrates or phosphates if you need to and that's it.
Post InfoPosted 23-May-2007 04:32Profile PM Edit Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 86
Votes: 0
male usa
Sham hit it right on the nose. Excellent advice. I do mine weekly and have done so for 9+ yrs now. 2 important things that PWC`s do is dillution of nitrates or other waste products and adding back of trace elements that get used up during the every day life cycle of fish and corals.
Post InfoPosted 23-May-2007 14:11Profile PM Edit Report 
RIFIFOOL
-----
Fingerling
Myspace.Com/Sheereen726
female usa
That's exactly the advice I was looking for. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!
Hopefully all goes well. I'm a little nervou about it, but I'll let you know how things turn out as soon as I get it done.

1 Ocellaris Clown: $14.95...1 Pink Dottyback: $12.99...1 Three Striped Damsel: $4.50...1 Blue Velvet Damsel: $8.95
Post InfoPosted 23-May-2007 16:24Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
As I stated in your other thread, it is very important to get the proper test kits at this time. You need to change the water accordingly with the test kits. And let the tank cycle.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 23-May-2007 18:21Profile PM Edit Report 
RIFIFOOL
-----
Fingerling
Myspace.Com/Sheereen726
female usa
So tell me what are the test kits that I should be getting and around how much do they cost? [I've been having a few money issues lately...]

Post InfoPosted 23-May-2007 18:24Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
This thread is following along the same line as your other thread, so I am closing this one and all other posts related to this thread, please post on the following link to the other thread;
http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/34251.1.htm?10#

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 23-May-2007 20:29Profile PM Edit Report 
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies