Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhat sand?
freshreef
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
Votes: 1
male usa
Ok I am getting prices/everything checked out for my nano and was wondering what type of sand???? I saw the aragite (sp?) stuff that kinda looked like very fine crushed coral and kinda.... tanish-greyish looking..and I saw this other moon beach WHITE sand (in the freshwater section) and they are about the same in price so wondering what would be better? I want what is best for the tank but I also want it to look good!
Thanks!

29gall-2 bolivian rams, 6 neon tetra, 4 lemon tetra, 2 lamp eye tetra, 6 black skirt tetra(which are rescues...long story, but finding good home soon), 4 zebra danio 10gall, pretty much nothing but plants....2gall-female betta
1gall-female betta
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2006 22:27Profile PM Edit Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 197
Votes: 90
male usa
personally I would go with Aragonite, it looks more natural

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2006 22:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
freshreef
-----
Fingerling
male usa
EditedEdited by freshreef
Ok! thanks

29gall-2 bolivian rams, 6 neon tetra, 4 lemon tetra, 2 lamp eye tetra, 6 black skirt tetra(which are rescues...long story, but finding good home soon), 4 zebra danio 10gall, pretty much nothing but plants....2gall-female betta
1gall-female betta
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2006 22:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Actually the aragonite will help buffer the pH in a SW tank because it is a calcium carbonate. It works better than crushed coral for this purpose.
The bleach white type of sand is a silicate sand, that will usually leach silica into the water column and cause algae problems in SW tanks. I would stay away from those.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2006 03:09Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
freshreef
-----
Fingerling
male usa
ok cool! Thanks!

1gall-female betta
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2006 03:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
EditedEdited by sirbooks
If you can find carbonate-based sand, it will do the same job as the crushed coral but with a different look. Sand has its benefits and its hassles, so it's up to you what you decide on. Sand is tougher to clean with a siphon and is easily blown away by pumps, but many feel that it looks much better. Also, more animals seem to interact with a sandy substrate than a crushed coral bed.

The list goes on and on, but you can see that there's no true "best" choice.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 10-Sep-2006 06:20Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies