---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Approve
Should be "Picasso". You should edit this afterwards.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2008 21:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
Reject
This is a linebred trait not a varient. If you would like, place this in the "other" section of the profile. As variants are to refer to the differences in the fish from different locations. As in how they vary from place to place. Not how someone is linebreeding a specific trait.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2008 14:19Profile PM Edit Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Reject

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2008 00:38Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Acid, if that is the case the profiles are not consistent. I checked, for example, the zebra danio profile, and it mentions the long-finned trait in the variants section.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2008 05:05Profile PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
I was gonna say that, I assummed, and others quite logically have too, that variants included linebreds, albino's, colour morphs, etc. It would seem to be a field of limited use if it were merely to include regional colour variation.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2008 07:39Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
Yes, I understand that there is many differences in the profiles. That is why there is the reason for people like you to be able to change them.

The main thing we want to do/keep with our profiles, is that we have always tried to keep all the records of them as close to their natural environment as possible. Other wise, we have to change every little thing, because somebody has done them in their own tank in different parameters and such. For example, I have bred some SA species cichlids that come from ph normal value of 5.5 to 6.0, and they spawned for me in 8.0 water. But, I do not go challenging the values listed in the profile. But simply add this fact to the "comments" sections. If this was the case, then many of our profiles would read ph values of 6.0-8.5 and such.

A line bred fish is something that is not naturaly occurring in the wild. So for this reason alone, it should be added to the comments section and not the main profile information.

I agree that it should be a field of limited use. As with all the fields, they should be specific to their normal/nature environment, and limited to that. The "comments" section in any profile or form, has been there for any additional information that is not covered by the specifics of the listed fields.

An perfect example would be Pundamilia nyererei from Lake Victoria and the surrounding. There are over 16 varients of this genus. All from different areas of the lake, and all have a considerable difference in colors. I do not feel it appropriate to include aquarium line bred fish with a different color morph or trait, with those that occur in the wild naturally.

Another example of this occuring and many thinking it a natural color morph of the lake, is the German Red Peacocks. These are a stuartgranti that has been line bred to have these remarkable colors. But, this fish does not occur naturally in the Lake with these colors. I have come accross many people that thought they were a natural color morph of the fish from the lake. And did not realize they had been line bred. For this other reason, is why I feel that all aquarium formed traits, be it color morphs, long fins, and any others, should not be included in the varients section. IMO, all except the "comments" section should be only naturally occuring situations, or comparisons such as using clay pots as caves for breeding.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2008 00:11Profile PM Edit Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california
Reject

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 10:26Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
female usa us-california

var·i·ant -noun
Something which differs in form from another thing, though really the same; as, a variant from a type in natural history; a variant of a story or a word.
(Webster's Dictionary)

I don't see how that in any way excludes captive-bred morphs of fish from being included with natural morphs in the Variants section. Although, it would be best if the description specified whether the variant discussed is found in the wild or developed in captivity.

Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 10:35Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
female usa us-california
IMO, all except the "comments" section should be only naturally occuring situations, or comparisons such as using clay pots as caves for breeding.

Now that's just getting ridiculous. This website and the profiles contained within are devoted to information on how to keep aquarium fish in captivity. This isn't Fishbase; scientists aren't coming here to learn everything they can about certain fishes' native ecosystem. If a clay pot or a marble substrate are the best things to use for breeding fish in captivity, then that information needs to be placed in the relevant section of the profile.

Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 10:42Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
I tend to think that there could be some wriggle room in the variants section. Parameters etc should be as close to the natural environment as possible, but if something has variations (naturally occurring or traits exploited by man in a captive breeding situation, none of this dying or doctoring stuff) or breeds in a certain way in captivity, I'd tend to look at those specific sections first for that sort of information.

I think if we move all such details to the comments section that it is likely to become very verbose and difficult to absorb for the average hobbyist, and they may even be overlooked altogether if someone is trying to scan for information quickly using the available subheadings.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2008 15:46Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Reject

Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2008 00:36Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies