L# 29 Gallon Lighting Options?
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe29 Gallon Lighting Options?
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 0
male usa
I am using 1 24" 20 watt Coralife Colormax bulb on my 29 gallon and though it makes the fish look nice, the tank is too dark for my taste. I know that i need to increase the wattage on my tank for more lighting but i don't want to spend the money on a new light fixture at the moment. Can anyone recommend a bright and eye pleasing 24" inch bulb for my tank? I have some Java Fern and Water Sprite as my only live plants but they have been slow to grow. The fish are Tiger, Rosy and Gold Barbs. Thanks!!!
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2006 22:51Profile PM Edit Report 
luvmykrib
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 256
Votes: 27
female canada
The 24" bulbs all pretty much give off the same amount of light. I recently got the Coralife Aqualight for freshwater, 65 watt, 24" fixture for my 25 gallon, I took it back though and traded it for the 30" fixture to fit the top of my tank better. If your tank is 30" long, I'[d recommend the 30" fixture as well. The bulb is the same size, the cover is just longer. The 24" cost me $120 CDN, to upgrade it was $20 more. I also got the feet so it would sit above the glass. Your plants are fine in the amount of light they have, you will want to think carefully about upgrading, more light may mean more algae. There are steps you can take to prevent it, higher plant load, CO2 injection, using Flourish Excel.

"If you're afraid you'll make a mistake, you won't make anything."
-Family Circus
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2006 01:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Has anyone used the Life-Glo 2 bulb by Hagen?
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2006 05:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
luvmykrib
-----
Fish Addict
female canada
Last I checked the Life-Glo 2 wasn't available in 24", I looked for my own tank. The flora-glo or the aqua-glo are both good for the 24" hood.

-Family Circus
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2006 06:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Yes it is. I was just looking at it in the Drs. Foster and Smith catalog.
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2006 06:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
luvmykrib
-----
Fish Addict
female canada
EditedEdited by luvmykrib
Yikes! I'm sorry and so stupid! I checked the Hagen site to see if they manufacture them and it's crazy, some of the bulbs are in inches and some are in centimeters! How crazy is that? I would have tried the life-glo 2 if I had really payed attention. I would say go for it.

-Family Circus
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2006 01:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies