SubscribeAir Stone sheet
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 212
Votes: 17
male uk
hi, this may sound strange

but the blue material you get on air stones, can you buy it in thin sheets or disc's?

Sorry if this sounds strange it is for a project

cheers
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2009 19:51Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
what are you using it for?

they make longer bubble sticks or wands they also make discs of it, but they are always surrounded with a plastic base and sides...

what the project and how do you plan on using the air bubbler/airstone material?

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2009 02:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
You can definitely get discs, they come in a plastic holder arrangement and are normally about 5-8cm across.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2009 06:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
male uk
well forgot to say it aint for my aquarium but for a furniture project im doing long story, may get some pics up when done also in terms of airstones, whats the smallest you can get them, shorter and smaller the better

any help would be great

cheers
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2009 20:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Are you just going for the look? As part of furniture I expect it doesn't actually need to function as an airstone. AFAIK they do not sell air stone materials cheaply, and buying a ton of really small air stones will be quite costly.

Maybe you could cement a bunch of sand into a sheet, and then paint it blue.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2009 20:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
male uk
hum might give that a try, good idea ye im just going for a look of loads of bubbles going up clear tubes. If i where to by a pre done airstone, whats the smallest i could buy, looking for under 1 inch?

cheers
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2009 20:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
There are some sold for Marine tanks which are a white soft material, then there are the small wooden ones also sold for Marine tanks. These give you very fine bubbles. But the problem with those types they clog up very quickly.

Then there are the small plastic ones which can be pulled apart to clean or make them bigger or smaller.
Finally there is the air wand you can cut that to any length you want. I had to cut one down to about 4ins.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2009 01:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Oh wow, I misunderstood what you were going for, I thought you only wanted the texture of an airstone in a sheet for some reason. I retract my recommendation, which could be pretty difficult to actually make work.

You can buy airstones really small, don't worry about that. Just go to your LFS and take a look, you should be able to find some pretty small ones.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2009 07:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
If you're looking for really fine bubbles there are limewood(I think) airstones. Anyway, they're made of wood. (Duh)
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2009 10:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Limewood ones make the water look cloudy, maybe it might not be the look that is required. Another option would be to look for the rainbow plastic ones, they produce nice sized bubbles. You could even DIY

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2009 02:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
can you show us a little drawing of what it is you intend to do? i'm a little lost... do you want to cover the thing in the compressed colored sand or do you want to make a tube design filled with flowing bubbles?

you asked for small and large quantities so this is a bit misleading to me.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2009 04:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies