L# Aquaclear
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAquaclear
willy
Hobbyist
Kudos: 11
Votes: 2
male australia
will a aqua clear 50 be alright for a 109 liter tank and possible moved to a larger one(maybe 6foot) when i find one for additional filtration?
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2009 09:26Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
It is rated as a 200lt and should be OK. If you are looking for a good price LOOK HERE I recently bought a heater from them and the service was extremely fast.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2009 10:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
willy
Hobbyist
male australia
thats what i was thinking, i had a look on there but the aquaticlifeaquarium was cheaper though.. would it be ok if i got a 70 just because i will probably be going to use it on a larger tank later and it would be more capable of handling loads if it were that little bit bigger, plus you cant really over filter a tank can you?
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2009 12:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
no there is no way to over filter the tank do u already have fish in the tank cuz adding a new filter most of the time will make the amonia spike but once its built up the benifical bactira all should be good...... my tank is pushing like 1500+ gph on a 55 gallon tank.... if u think about it most of the fish would live in a river and a never ending supply of freshwater and if they dont like the spot they move..... they just dont got that choice in are tanks....... once i set up my big tank again its gona be pushing 40 times the gallons on it.
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2009 21:49Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
Here in the States, filters are generally rated in capacity
of the tanks. For instance "A" filter might be rated for
tanks from 35 to 60 gallons, or 5 to 15 gallons.
If the tank is stocked normally, and routine preventative
maintenance (gravel vacuuming/water changes) are done
then the information on the label is a practical guide for
most hobbyists. If you were keeping, say a 55 gallon tank,
stocked with messy eaters, or large bodied fish, then
probably it would behoove you to chose a filter where
the 55 was at the bottom and say 90 gallons was the top end.

I "shoot" for the middle with my filters. In other words,
my tank capacity would be in the middle of that filter's
range. Plant heavily, stock sparingly, and feed lightly,
along with a weekly preventative maintenance program.

I disagree with the idea of over powering a tank with a
filter. I do agree a physically larger filter is better,
but if the volume of water shoved through is too high
it can easily over power a tank and cause stress
among some fish.

The key, IMO is to look at the fish you are keeping.
If they are true "river" fish and live in fast flowing,
bodies of water, then by all means create a "river tank"
such as this:
http://www.loaches.com/articles/river-tank-manifold-design

If the fish are large bodied like Discus, or angels,
or from stagnant bodies of water, or sluggish streams,
then placing them in a tank that is "over powered"
increases stress on the fish, especially if there is
no way for them to get out of the currents into eddy's
or in the lee of a rock formation.
Yes, some love to frolic in the currents and bubbles, but
like every living thing, they have to have places to rest.

Stress is not just limited to water conditions:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA005
Note particularly the sentence...
Stress is caused by placing a fish in a situation which is beyond its normal level of tolerance.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2009 23:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
willy
Hobbyist
male australia
riri1.. yeah i have fish in there already, i dont see how it can make an ammonia spike when il have my other filter running still for a few weeks maybe to add some bacteria to the new filter? i have a few gouramis and a ram and a Siamese algae eater.. the hob filter dont really create much of a current though do they cos there only making a waterfall into the water..
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 12:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
If it did have a mini spike it would be so small if at all. I always add Seachem Stability at every water change this keeps the good bacteria healthy.

What I have done with my HOB I slowly removed all the sponge filter and replaced it with filter floss. This means I can continually replace my filter material with out a chance of getting a spike when the filter foam was replaced.
I also added a Sponge as a prefilter and this has increased the filtration and at the same time the impeller is always clean. I put the prefilter on because I have Cherry Red Shrimps.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2009 02:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
willy
Hobbyist
male australia
Keith..
thats what i was thinking about the ammonia spike, does the seachem really work that well? the 'stability' is for producing new bacteria isit not? so it would be good for a new tank?
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2009 06:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
From Seachem

Stability
Product Description
Stability™ will rapidly and safely establish the aquarium biofilter in freshwater and marine systems, thereby preventing the #1 cause of fish death: "new tank syndrome". Stability™ is formulated specifically for the aquarium and contains a synergistic blend of aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria which facilitate the breakdown of waste organics, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Unlike competing products, the bacteria employed by Stability™ are non-sulfur fixing and will not produce toxic hydrogen sulfide. Stability™ is completely harmless to all aquatic organisms as well as aquatic plants, thus there is no danger of over use. Stability™ is the culmination of nearly a decade of research and development and represents the current state of the art in natural biological management.

Sizes: 50 mL, 100 mL, 250 mL, 500 mL, 2 L, 4 L, 20 L

Why It's Different

Illustration of Stability's™ bacteria on biofiltration material. stability contains a synergistic blend of aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria
The bacteria used in competing products are inherently unstable. The conditions necessary for their growth and development fall into a very narrow range of temperatures, pH, organic loads, etc. When any of these parameters are not strictly within the proper range, the bacterial culture quickly crashes and dies. Stability™ does not contain any of the aforementioned bacteria.

The bacteria strains in Stability™ have been in development for over a decade. The necessary conditions for growth of our bacterial strains encompass a very broad range. When other bacteria begin to die off (usually from high organic loads caused by the undetected death of an organism), Stability™ simply works harder and grows faster! The strains function in fresh or saltwater. Stability™ contains both nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria, a blend found in no other product. Additionally, Stability™ contains facultative bacterial strains which are able to adapt to either aerobic or anaerobic conditions. The bacteria in Stability™ are non-sulfur fixing, another innovation in the industry. Most other bacterial supplements will form toxic hydrogen sulfide under the proper conditions. Stability™ will not, ever.

Directions
Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 40 L (10 gallons*) on the first day with a new aquarium. Then use 1 capful for each 80 L (20 gallons*) daily for 7 days. Fish and other aquatic species may be introduced at any time as long as dosage is maintained for 7 days. For optimum biofilter performance use 1 capful for each 40 L (10 gallons*) once a month or with each water change and whenever introducing new fish or whenever medicating an aquarium.

I had massive spikes in my tank several years ago caused by my water supply. The product I wanted was no longer on the market and I was advised to try Stability I had no choice my fish were dying by the hour.

As soon as I started adding stability the deaths stopped immediatly. Exactly the same thing happened about one year later and again Seachem came to the rescue. It is a problem I have with my local water supply as soon as the weather warms up and the dams are low.

I have mentioned on FP many times I use Stability at every water change and double dose at the Eheim Pro11 filter cleaning.

It is perfect in setting up a new tank it gets the good bacteria going and by using it at every water change it keeps it that way.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2009 08:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
willy
Hobbyist
male australia
hey keith.. you must go through some stability then using it at every water change? that would get costly wouldnt it?

i will have a look around for some stability and try it on a new tank i just set up last week..
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2009 04:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
EditedEdited by keithgh
I buy it from HERE
I only use 5ml per water change it is calculated on the new water each time.

It works out a lot cheaper buying it that way I also buy other supplies at the same time. The deliver costs are cheaper than the petrol cost if I went LFS hunting.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2009 08:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies