SubscribeAquarium Repairs
coop
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 60
Votes: 2
male australia
EditedEdited 21-Apr-2010 08:52
i recently acquired a 80 gallon aqua-one bow front glass aquarium with a cracked back pane for free of my LFS. i was wondering if i could repair this myself if i get the back pane cut, or whether i would have to send it away to be repaired. If i can do it myself, what silicons can i use?

thanx
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2010 08:52Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
First it is very obvious that you do not know about glass and especially repairing a tank or if in can be prepared.

Yes you can try to do it your self.

If you took it to a professional glazier they certainly can do it but if you ask them could they guarantee the job I would be extremely surprised.

Even if they would do it for you the cost could easily be far more than the cost of buying a new tank.

If it is a new tank (never been used) it "might" be able to be repaired by placing a new piece of glass over the cracked piece. All you can do is ask.

Cookie

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2010 09:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coop
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 60
Votes: 2
male australia
yeh ive repaired a few smaller tanks but nothing over 60 litres. i dont kno a great deal about it, thats why im asking.

yeh the tank is brand new, when i pulled it of the truck n opened it there was a crack in the back running from top to bottom in the middle of the back pane(i used to work there)

i supose i could try covering with a peice of glass but my concern there would be the water putting to much pressure on it anyway.

ill go n have a chat to the bloke at the glassy's anyway.
i dont need a new tank, i have plenty as it is haha, i was planning on putting together a new cichlid tank with it if it is repairable for cheep, but i could put a 3d background in and use it for my water dragon if not.
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2010 13:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
coop

It certainly would be better if it could be a dry tank and then leave the original back in and then put a new piece of glass completely over the original piece.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2010 07:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies