Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBrine Shrimp Hatchery/Dispenser
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I saw this (it was pointed out to me) at the LFS today. I didn't write down exactly what it was called, but it was like a whole kit for about $25. It's a brine shrimp hatchery that attaches to an aquarium, and then at some point, the shrimp swim out and enter your aquarium. It's for freshwater or marine aquariums. I was wondering if anyone has experience with these, and if so, how big the brine shrimp were by the time they swam into the tank.

><>
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2007 01:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
i've seen them and i know what your talking about... everybody that i know that works in local shops all say their for junk. they do work, but its not worth it.

the shrimp are very tiny when their born, so they could indeed work in a grow out tank. but for larger fish, your better the ones already grown

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2007 02:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
I have one here I've been planning on trying as hatching for the baby bettas is just painfully time-consuming and a bit hit and miss. I thought I'd give it a burl in the SW tank first up and just see if it functioned.

The units seem fairly chunky, I'M a bit curious what they were designed for feeding as they'd be lucky to fit in the depth of my larger spawn tanks and would take up a lot of space in the small ones.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2007 10:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Yea and it works mostly. It's a real pain though. Needs very frequent cleaning since the water does not circulate through it. It's also difficult to clean and then to get setup just right again. Overall it was so annoying I only used it for a month and gave it up. It's rather chunky and requires a fairly large tank (doesn't work in anything under my 29g) so it's not really effective for feeding fry. More for providing frequent food to fish that only eat live food or for providing variety and live food to adult fish. I can see it's use in a saltwater tank for something like a mandarin or other fish that graze on small organisms and don't do well on frozen foods.
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2007 19:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
I have a cheap model basically an air pump attached to an upside down 2 liter bottle, Really its all you need. Those in tank hatcheries are a bit of a problem, personally I would be afraid of them leaking the brine water in to the main tank.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2007 21:27Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies