AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Technical Tinkering
  L# Created Custom Betta Tank Divider...
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCreated Custom Betta Tank Divider...
Pammy
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 130
female usa
EditedEdited by Pammy
http://photos.yahoo.com/pammylz It is the Tank Divider Album.

I was having space problems with my 5 gallons on my shelf you'll see in the pictures. I purchased this 20g Long tank at Meijer for $23. I went to Home Depot and purchased 2 panes of 16" x 20" glass (about $5 each), and cut them down to 11.5" x 11.75". Then using GE silicone 1 clear sealant I spaced them about a 1" apart and sealed them in. I first sealed one pane in and let it dry. Then I did the other. How I got the sealant in on the inside of the second pane was I put sealant on the pane and on the sides of the aquarium and I used a small wooden dowel to spread the sealant on the inside. I was originally going to slip in a sheet of construction paper in the center area to block their view, but I had all this leftover aquarium rock, and I realized that center divider would need some support in the inside gap. So, I decided to dump the rock in there. And, the pictures don't do it justice. It looks REALLY cool! And the bettas love it. It looks totally natural.

The bettas don't have ten gallons either; I didn't want them to have that much space. They have about 7.5g each.

I didn't want the water to be shared by the bettas. If one gets sick, it will spread to the other, and I did not want that to happen. So, each side has its own filter and heater.

As you'll notice it doesn't look perfect. I originally was only going to have the space about 1/4" wide. So one pane is closer to the center than the other. But, midway the rock idea came to me. And yes, that is moisture on the inside of the glass with the rock. I forgot to dry the rock before I dumped it in there. And the rock is impossible to get out now. But it is disappearing, slowly. Anyways, thanks for looking and reading, and I hope this helps those with similar betta tank dividing problems.

Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2006 20:26Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
Thanks for posting! I have been toying with the idea of dividing a 10g for awhile...I just haven't found a good enough divider. This is a great idea...especially the rocks in the middle...it looks very nice.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 24-Sep-2006 00:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Corydoran
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 370
Votes: 1217
male usa
5 or 7.5 gallons are both still very generous, compared to what many others give their bettas.

It looks like your bettas will be very happy.
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2006 17:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Pammy
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 130
female usa
Thanks! Yeah, they're very happy. The bubble nests show it.
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2006 05:07Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies