Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeDiy Co2 Generator
oz196
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 119
Votes: 15
male usa
I have read about how to set up a diy co2 generator, but I can not get it to start running. The yeast is new, I even went out and bought a new jar when the first did no work. I am using a 2 litter soda bottle attached to a 20 oz bottle to collect any water/mixture that passes threw the line. I use 1/4 teaspoon bread machine yeast with 2 cups sugar and water fill to the curve of the bottle. The bottle/mixture sits in a bucket with a heater set at about 95 degrees. If I shake the bottle co2 will flow out alittle, but then the water move back up the line till it reaches water level, I have checked for leaks. It has been runing for over a week and is doing nothing.

Any suggestions?

Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 14:54Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
While I'm no baker, I do recall that virtually every
article on DIY CO2 that I've ever read says to use
BREWERS YEAST.
It is my understanding that this brewers yeast
is a slightly different variety of critter than baking yeast.
I also seem to recall that one should store the extra
yeast in the refrigerator.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 18:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Your problem may be one or a combination of the following listed in the order of likelyhood:
1, Air leak, it only takes a very small one to stop the reactor from working properly or at all.
2, Temperature may be too high, you may be burning out the yeast too quickly.
3, No bicarb in your mix, this is said to help buffer the pH of the solution as acids and alcohol are produced, It seems to be in almost all the recipes I have seen, but not every one.
4, Bad yeast, we have to keep ours in the fridge and even then we have to use a new packet with every new mix, for some reason it just wont work if I use a packet that had been opened for the previous mix.

Here are the instructions for the first reactor I built and recipe we tried, It took less than 5 minutes to construct and an hour before the CO2 started bubbling through the airstone in a 2 foot deep tank, The first few hours it bubbles like crazy then it settles down to a slow regular pace of microbubbles. It continued to bubble for 2 weeks, The room temperature is usually between 82F and 90F.

Construction materials required: 2L coke bottle, airline, airstone, sharp knife, electric drill, correct size drill bit, 1 cup of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of bicarb, 3 cups of tap water, 1/2 teaspoon of fresh yeast.

Method of Construction = I drilled the bottle lid with a drill bit slightly smaller than the diameter of the airline and poked a very small hole in the plastic seal with a sharp knife then forced the airline approximatly 1 inch through lid and plastic seal, (this is easier if you cut the airline at an angle,), then attached the airstone, and I did not use any sealant check valve or airflow regulators at all, less points for air leaks this way.

Reactor Mixture = added 1 cup of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of bicarb, 3 cups of water, shake in bottle untill sugar is dissolved then add the 1/2 teaspoon of fresh yeast and swirl gently to mix a little.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 18:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
yes brewer yeast will work better, but bakers yeast will work as will. I think you have old yeast. If its been sitting on a self where it gets warn it will go bad. Oz make sure you have check valve in the line you don't want the mixer to expand and flow into you tank.

Try new yeast. start it with lukewarm water, so it can dissolve and mix. By all means never shack it.

Good luck. I have have found it easier to just buy HAGENS system for 30gal and below.

DjRichie
"Don't Panic"

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 18:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
Hi there

Someone here on this forum gave me this article a while back. http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

Some other stuff here http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/might help as well.

Wondering how big your tank is? When I tried this on a 40G, I could never get enough C02 & others here suggested to me that DIY is best for 20G & under. Too many bottles & yeast mixtures are required, if the tank is larger. Just a thought.

Hope the articles help you out. Good luck & have fun.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2007 00:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
oz196
-----
Big Fish
male usa
I apoligize for not metioning it but I am adding 1/4 teaspoon of bicarb. My tank is 75 gallon, I have 2 2litter bottles trying to run, The yeast is new just bought a new jar, and I am storing it in the fridge. I am removing the amount of yeast I need and allowing it to come to room temp. before adding it to the mixture.

I think I will try to construct a new set up and avoid all the conectors, except the check valve.

If anyone has any other suggestions I am all ears.

Thanks
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2007 01:57Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
Hey Oz

the first link I gave you has a lot of detail about making DIY systems, info about different yeast types & recipies. http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

Have fun

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2007 01:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
male usa
EditedEdited by djrichie
You will never get enough C02 from yeast for a tank that size if you do you will have a lot of 2liter bottles and a lot of areas in hose and connectors to lose the CO2 gas throw leaks. You would most likely have to have CO2 Tank Injection System. You can spend quite a bit on them. I think tank,reg system, CO2 reactor and CO2 hose and of course a good check valve it cost me around $275.00 and That I know is the cheapest price and the best parts. I know this because I research it for 3 Months. I use mine to control the pH of the tank. No Buffers Used, but it helps the plants as well.

First got to here and look at the regulator system:
http://www.aquariumplants.com/AQUARIUMPLANTS_com_s_Co2_Regulator_The_BEST_p/co2-1.htm
This is the one I use check out the features and part used compare them

Second you will need a CO2 Controller if you want to hold the pH a a certain level.(6.5 will make your plants pearl with oxygen bubbles)
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Automated_pH_Co2_Controller_MILWAUKEE_SMS122_p/pr209.htm

Third a CO2 reactor (I use this type, it waste no gasses. Look how it works)
http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/pr009.htm

It comes in two sizes
http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/pr210.htm

Forth a Co2 tank - Get this from a beverage company you can buy a new 10 pound-er on ebay cheap even with shipping. Aquarium online and LFS want way to much for them. The fitting are the same here in the US other places will have to check.

Finally CO2 Hose and a check valve. get a check valve that splits for maintenance and get check valve you don't want tank water going in your CO2 tank.

I did not get everything from aquariumplants.com site. However I did get the regulator from there it really is the best out there you can buy a Milwaukee but they have problems and if you don't know how to service them than you just buy another one. Milwaukee only offers a 1year warranty and the parts are not the best. Pinpoint makes a pH controller that I think is better than the two I have but the cost is double, so I had to go cheaper on that, but they work well. Just hard to calibrate dead on. I'm not recommending any place to buy this stuff. Just the best parts I could fine. If anyone knows of a better part please let me know I'm piecing together a 110us gal.

Djrichie
"Don't Panic"

Djrichie
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2007 05:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
75 gallon Sorry, but I don't think it will work for you. I guess that's not what you wanted to hear.

I didn't notice your tank size before. My 43G was way too big for DIY let alone 75G. Folks here told me DIY is really for 20G & below. I was using up to 3 x 2 litre bottles, constantly mixing new batches & still never enough C02 in the tank. The instability can cause more problems than having no C02 at all. Plus it all got to be such a pain.

If you really want C02, I think you need a pressurised system. I hesitated with the decision for a while 'cause of the cost, but once you outlay the initial cost, it will be so much easier for you. If you can afford it, you won't regret it. I'm in Aus, so no point me suggesting places to purchase.

Good luck with your tank.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2007 16:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
male usa
EditedEdited by djrichie
Just to help Hagen make I yeast system for 20 to 30us gal tanks.
http://www.petsolutions.com/Plant+Gro+CO2+System-I-15517690-I-C-13-C-.aspx

Than there are these new systems:
http://www.petsolutions.com/Carbo+Plus-I-12515723-I-C-13-C-.aspx

Larger tanks need the pressurised systems.

DjRichie
"Don't Panic"

Djrichie
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2007 17:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
I am with everyone else also. A 75G tank is a bit big for DIY CO2. I tried it on my 40G for a while with three 2L's. I was changing one out every week to keep it somewhat steady.

If you do want to play with the DIY CO2. Try and premix the sugar and water, and yeast and water, then add them all together. It seemed to work well for me.

Another question for you.
How much light are you running on this tank? If you are under 3WPG then you don't need to worry about CO2. You would be much better off using Seachem's Flourish Excel.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2007 19:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 04-Apr-2007 07:01
This post has been deleted
oz196
-----
Big Fish
male usa
Thanks for the info I figured out that I had a leak in one of my conections. I riged different bottles and ran a line directly to the tank with no conectors. I was using a CO2 system in which you drop the tablets in a small container and it fills a CO2 bell in the tank. I know it probally does not do much but the plants seem to do a little better when I add the CO2. This set up is so I don't have to buy thoes little tablets anymore. I has 70 watts of light on my tank, so about 1 watt per gallon.

Thanks for all the help
OZ
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2007 22:20Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
male usa
EditedEdited by djrichie
Something is better than nothing, I guess but you if you really want the plants to grow. You need to get a system to match the tank size. Also, look at your CO2 diffuser, you can get more gas in the water with reactor. most of the new ones have a pump in them. Look at the earlier posting about CO2 pressure tank system. I use the one show and use it on yeast system as will and it really doesn't waste any gas.

I'm glad your happy

Djrichie
"Don't Panic"

Djrichie
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2007 00:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies