Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFluval 405 very loud
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 57
Votes: 1
male canada
I just set up a 75gal fishtank that i got for christmas and the new filter which has been running for almost a week now has started making very loud noises. Its sort of has a shutter to a louder noise. This happened right after i was trying to stop the filter so i could feed my fish without all the current. Ne ways i turn it back on and the noises started. So I unplugged it took the four trays out cleaned them. Popped off the lid checked and cleaned the propeller, snapped it all back together and same thing happens. Whats going on? I have larger rocks as substrate its not sand.

Ne ideas? Should i just take it back and get a refund ? Id rather fix it if possible so give me ideas thanks.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 08:26Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
it could just be the filter trying to restart the siphon and get the flow going again.. most f my filters (although none are canisters) make a loud noise for a minute or so until they get going properly.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 08:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
ok i agree with brand..... just give it some time and if it keeps makeing the noises idk what it is.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 22:01Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi.
Most of the time, a noisy pump is caused by the impeller
blades wobbling against the pump chamber, or is the noise
of cavitation (air bubbles trapped in the pump chamber).

If you still have the rattling noise, and you are
convinced its coming from inside the pump and not a
hose vibrating against something, I would take the filter
apart and reassemble it loading each chamber with water
as you reassemble it, then make sure that you have no
air trapped in the lines to be drawn into the filter and
into the pump chamber.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 23:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
I took it apart last night, because its in my room it was keeping me up. I worked on it until about 1:00am last night. Always great when it happens late at night when your sleeping and work at 6:00am

Ne ways its still making the noise. I did read something about air in the propeller chamber. Im going to go to the LFS today and ask them about it. Mybe I can get a new one or something. I let it run all night, just got home from work and the same thing, not quite as loud but still not what it once was. (quiet)
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 01:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
It could be sucking air in somewhere or the impeller is either not sitting correctly or it is out of balance.

Taking it back is the best thing to do and dont be satisfied until you get it working perfect.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 02:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ArcticBanana
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
Votes: 4
male usa
If it is a HOB filter you may want to add more water or put water into the back of the filter itself. If its any other kind of filter, i have no clue.

Good Luck!
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 21:31Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
AB the Fluval 405 is a canister.
quick_silver how is the pump going now and have you take it to where you purchased it?

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2009 02:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
Pump works good now. I just had a faulty propeller shaft, I took it back to the LFS and they replaced it free of charge.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 03:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I have often heard that Fluval can be loud. I would buy a spare impeller and shaft as it is likely to happen again.

I pull my Eheim Pro11 apart every month and give it a complete cleaning paying particular attention to the impeller, shaft and its housing. It is the same with the HOB every week it is cleaned the housing is wiped clean with a cotton bud and you would be surprised the amount of dirt it collects in one week. It has lessened off lately because I have set up a pre filter so that the baby Shrimp do not get sucked into it.
This is one way to save a lot on wear and tear with the impeller especially if you have a lot of fines in your substrate or fish that continually dig it up.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 03:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
pre filter? explain plz
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 08:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
A prefilter is a small or large filter material placed around the filter intake. It can even be a piece of pantie hose to a fancy bought circular unit that sits on the substrate, or like I am using a open sponge filter material
My latest attempt is a open sponge filter which I cut a X at one end and pushed a small sharp knife into the sponge BUT not cutting all the way through to the sides or the bottom. The inlet tube is then pushed as far as it can go.
This now means that all the water going into the filter must go through this sponge first (hence Pre Filter) BUT it must be cleaned every week with the other filter material.

Here is a photo of my latest attempt, it is not the latest one the next one is a more open sponge and will not block up easily.

The benefits are several other than keeping the impeller cleaner it also give you a lot more filtration material.
It also reduced the sand or substrate fines entering the impeller.
It stops fry and in my case baby shrimp getting caught up in the main filter material.

Look here for my

Keith

Attached Image:

Pre filter for my HOB 1-09

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 11:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
I like that idea, especially when i feed my oscars frozen food which breaks up and makes a mess.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 04:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies