Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGravel Vacs?
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Keithgh suggested I post my question about them here. Can anyone direct me to the best, inexpensive gravel vac? Keith hopefully will post pics of his? He has a basic setup that suits me. But I don't know where I can find them State side. I've seen several other types on the internet that ranged from cheap to pretty costly and I have no real way to know how well they work. If anyone can share their experiences and the cost, I would be ever so greatful. Pics would also be welcome. I have a Python, but due to recent plumbing issues, not enough water pressure to run it effectively. Frank and Keithgh enlightened me on the differences in the Python and the Gravel Vacs. A gravel vac seems to be the answer to my needs.

Thank you

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 04:37Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Here are the Vacs/Syphons I use. The larger one is a Eheim and the smaller one??? many similar ones at LFS

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Attached Image:

Keith's Gravel Vacs/Syphons 2-09

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 07:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
there are some brands of gravel vac that are battery operated and suck up the water and filth from the gravel and spit clean water back into the tank, I use the smaller on like keithgh has because it was cheap. I got it at walmart for less than 10$ back when I bought it. The nice thing is all you need is the nozzle piece and if you need longer hose pieces you can go to the hardware store and buy some new hosing.

Pythons are a nice kind of gravel vac that use water pressure so yo don't have to syphon with you mouth and then with the turn of a switch it can fill the tank up.

There are many kinds. go to a lfs or petco/petsmart and you'll see the many varieties they have to offer!

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 22:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
It doesn't get any cheaper than the basic clear tube attached to a clear hose, like in keith's pic. I've got one similar to his small one, but about the size of his big one. All of these simple ones work about the same.

The price of the gravel siphon is probably one of the least of your concerns in this expensive hobby, though.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 22:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Found a small one for $5 at a major chainstore Meijer. It does the job but, I'm a bit clumsy with it. I think I need to go to the hardware store and get a longer hose. I managed to squirt water half across the floor before I knew it wasn't in the bucket. I think I want to see about ?bucket clips? I can see my youngest getting water all over the place. Screaming "letmedoit!" "Icandoit!" Everything is one big word with them.

Also, what do you think about me rubber banding some muslin or cheesecloth to the hose end as a catch filter for debris? This way I can clean poo/debris and put the water back in if it's not time for a water change. The cloth could then be rinsed free of debris and hand washed/air dried for next use. If that is a good idea, would those fabrics be effective or should I go for something more dense/tightly woven?

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2009 03:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Fabric would work well as you can fold it over for double thickness. You can also do more frequent and smaller changes if you're needing to collect poo :

I don't know about bucket clips, I've done it before too though I've also left a length of hose draining into a watering can and totally forgotten about it till the cat mentioned something about water blocking her food bowl :.

In addition to the standard plastic gravel vac, we have a powerhead with a clear hose attached. Powerhead goes in the water, hose goes in the garden. Then Put the power head in tub of dechlor water, or now that we're on tank water we just run the garden hose in from outside.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2009 07:59Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
wayneta

---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 236
Votes: 9
male usa us-newyork
I highly recommend the Python No Spill Clean and Fill.
From a purchase price standpoint, it is not exactly cheap.
In terms of convenience, time, and ease of use, it has paid for itself a hundred-fold!

-Wayne
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2009 22:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Wayne

Kelly has water pressure problems that is the reason for wanting that type of Gravel/syphon Vac.

In Aust the Python would be considered a big waste of good water. Also I have to store my water for one week and take directly from a HOT instaneous hot water system for another problem

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2009 07:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wayneta

---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 236
Votes: 9
male usa us-newyork
Yes. Duly noted. Water pressure problems.
Kellyjhw, I'm sure you've tried using the python with the faucet turned off.
That's how I use my python for water-changing: Turn on the faucet to get the water flow going from tank to faucet outlet, then turn it off and let gravity/suction take it's course. Granted, it is below adequate for gravel cleaning. There's barely enough water movement through the tube.
For gravel cleaning, you definitely want something with greater force.
Several years ago, I had this handheld battery operated cleaning 'wand'. It was basically a plastic pipe with a motor on one end, and a bag hanging off the outlet. In theory, the motor would suck the detrius out of the gravel, up the pipe, and through the bag, and the water would return [clean] back into the tank. In practice, the batteries were short-lived, and if you didn't pay attention to what you were doing, water all over the floor.
So, that did not work for me.
I own a Magnum 350 (not my favorite canister filter), and it has a gravel vac that attaches to the filter's inlet tube. It works pretty well. Strong suction, the waste is deposited right in the filter, and the water is returned to the tank. The vac came with the Marineland Magnum 350 Deluxe model, which may be outside your budget. I don't think it comes with the regular model. You'll have to check on that.
Hope that helps.
-Wayne
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2009 19:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited by kellyjhw
I don't even have enough pressure to get the python started. When I did have enough pressure, because the hose was so long, when the faucet was off. The python would stop.
I can tell you unequivocally, a canister filter is not in the budget. Sucks to be me! Pardon the pun.

I purchased a beautiful, el cheapo gravel vac, for $5 bucks U.S. It's seems to be getting the job done. It's a simple gravity self-starter, so I don't have to worry about batteries. I'm going to rig a catcher filter for the bucket end of the hose. So I can pour the water back into the tank, when I'm just tiding up a bit.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2009 06:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kelly
If you can let the tank water sit in the buckets for about 30 minutes you will surprised the amount of dirt that settles at the bottom.

What you can also do is run the tank water through some filter wool before it goes into the bucket as well. Some filter wool in a fine house hold strainer or a large naturally clean funnel will also work.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2009 08:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies