AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Technical Tinkering
  L# Need Bulb Recommendation For 29G...
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNeed Bulb Recommendation For 29G...
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 0
male usa
Hi, i just recently ordered the All Glass Double Bulb Fluorescent light fixture from Drs. Foster & Smith since i needed to upgrade my single bulb lighting. My question is what would be a good combo of lights for my tank that has low-light plants such as Java Fern and Java Moss in it? I plan on getting some more low-light plants once i upgrade my lighting. I want something that will show the fish colors nicely and also be good for the plants. I have an Asian themed tank with Tiger, Gold and Rosy Barbs and YoYo Loaches. Currently i have one Life-Glo 2 bulb in the tank. Should i leave in the bulbs that come with the fixture (2 9320K i believe) or mix and match? Thanks!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 17:27Profile PM Edit Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
LAZY and I don't care :D
Kudos: 360
Votes: 293
female usa
For the plants you just mentioned a set-up like mine would work great. I also have a double tube normal output fixture on my 29. I have two Life-Glo tubes in it that are both 6700 K. They do the best for plants. Each of my tubes is 24" long and each is 20 watts. This totals 40 watts and provides 1.36 watts per gallon which is fine for the plants you just mentioned. I'm growing those very well in my tank also. HTH

~~Melissa~~
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 17:50Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
The only problem i have with the Life-Glo 2 is that it makes the tank slightly yellowish and doesn't have the perfect clarity that i'm hoping for. I was wondering if i should add a different kelvin rated bulb or have a bluer bulb for a more eye pleasing appearance.

Crazyred - do you have any pics of your tank so i could see the lighting color of the 2 Life-Glos?

Any more suggestions?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 18:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
EditedEdited by crazyred
Yeah, I have pics. I'll post one....don't know if you will be able to tell much....crummy camera.

I use the Life-Glo's....They didn't have any Life-Glo 2's when I purchased mine. I don't know if it makes a difference or not.

Attached Image:

~~Melissa~~
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 20:38Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Thanks for the photo, nice tank you have.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 21:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
You're welcom. Too bad my centerpiece fish is hiding. I have a beautiful Opaline Gourami in there that is about 5 inches long. She a gorgeous hunk of fish flesh....I believe she hiding behind the plant mass on the right....she loves to go back there and scavenge for the odd fish morsel. She doesn't fit in the plastic log hidden back there though.

~~Melissa~~
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 21:37Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies