Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNot enough room
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 57
Votes: 1
male canada
I have a 75gal fish tank with oscars that i recently setup. I am currently running a fluval 405 but the current wasn't strong enough so I bought a marineland emporer 400 to help, but soon realized that it wouldn't fit. The gap between the fish tank and the wall isn't wide enough to fit.

I was just wondering whats the best way to move a tank almost full of water. I know it will be around 750lbs. It is on very fine carpet. My idea was the place a flat piece of wood on the side of the stand so as to not scratch it. Then having another piece of wood on the other side by the wall with a jack in between the wall and the stand. Slowly i will slide the tank? Should work right? ? ?
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2009 03:32Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Personally I would not even think about it the reasons are any twist and you will have a cracked tank or the silicone seals are just moved enough to become a problem but not necessarily straight away. Other than that it is a fantastic weight to move safely.
If it was a piece of furniture it would not be a problem to people who are used to moving furniture even then it can be a problem if not done correctly.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2009 04:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
well im going to try it tommorow, i will let you know what happened.
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2009 06:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
If you insist on moving the tank, then lighten it as
much as possible. Find some clean, large containers
and put the fish in them, then dig a hole in the substrate
down to the glass bottom, insert a hose and drain the
water down to the bottom. Save as much as you can in clean
containers. Move the tank VERY carefully, as that gravel
will be very heavy. Have enough help (strong men).
And lastly, don't torque the tank (twist or raise one end
first, etc.) The tank has to be moved as a whole not one
side or part first followed by another.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2009 08:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Try and move the stand rather than the tank also, it should provide you with a bit more stability .

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2009 15:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Boogeyman
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
Ive moved my 75 gallon a few times. Siphoned all the water into a couple tuberware containers which were placed near the area that I wanted the tank. Transfered the fish. After that my wife and I were able to slide the stand and tank accross the carpet. Wasnt to bad. Then siphoned the water back into the tank and returned the fish. Took about 45 minutes.
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2009 04:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
Well its all done, except im sort of dissapointed with how loud the 400 is but most HOB filters are, its got the biwheel so it will hold more bio and there is alot of top current now. Over all im satisfied.

I brought a hydraulic spacemaster jack home from work, with the tank 2/3 thirds empty it moved effortlessly.
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2009 01:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
make sure the tank is full and the biowheel wont make much noise. if its brand new expect it to be loud for about a month but then begins to be silent.

I did notice my penguin 330 went silent rather quick compared to the new penguin 350. i finally gave up on the 350 and removed the biowheels.
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2009 14:58Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies