L# Plumbing!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePlumbing!
tyler9999
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 22
Votes: 1
I am looking to plumb my filter ( a Rena XP3) into my tank with pvc or something like that to clean up the look of my tank. My question is this. Does anyone have a suggestion for an aquatic glue and primer to use or should I go with the standard construction grade stuff? Thanks for any and all input.
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2008 07:36Profile PM Edit Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
I am not sure about the saltwater side of things but the people who use PVC in freshwater stuff use the normal primer and cement.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2008 03:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 69
Votes: 295
male usa
I'll second that Wings, also, if you look around closely at the "odd-ball" hardware stores, you can even find the clear PVC cement if you don't like the effects of blue or purple glue seams. The instructions say to let cure for 24 Hrs. before use, I'd suggest 48Hrs, give all the curing agents time to release all their chlorides and acetates, wash and rinse and rinse some more.
If you don't like the looks of the usual white- sch 40, gray sch 80, I'd really stay away from the brittle stuff that is a pale green, usually used for lawn sprinkler systems.
Here is a link to a place that stocks clear pvc pipe and fittings>>
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/category.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=54&Page=1

hope this helps

J.
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2008 08:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 216
male usa
yeah, if you are using cement for potable water you should be fine. the cement for drinking water shouldn't leech!
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2008 07:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tyler9999
-----
Hobbyist
Thanks for the input. I guess I am going to have to pose another question. I Was told to make the intake bigger than the out flow for the sake of not burning out the pump. Would a 1" intake and a 5/8" out flow be pushing it or should I keep the pipe sizing relativly close?
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2008 20:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
male newzealand
You won't burn out a pump by restricting the intake unless you restrict it down to nothing. Super high powered pumps you might have to worry about cavitation damaging the impeller, but not in anything we're likely to use in a fish tank. Just go with whatever size the intake and outlet on the pump are instead of stuffing around with pipe size adapters.
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2008 11:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tyler9999
-----
Hobbyist
I ended up pluming it with 1/2" pvc. I am really happy so far with the results. From the filter I used 3/4" I.D braided plastic/pvc pipe with gear clamps into a 3/4" garden hose x Female H.B. fitting. From that I tied into a quarter turn ball valve that is H.B. x 3/4". I used a 3/4" x 1/2" H.B. PVC adapter and then piped it accordingly. If I could do it for a living would. I thoroughly enjoyed doing it and would recommend doing it if you have the knownledge. I am a plumber by trade so it was fairly easy to do.
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2008 08:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies