AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Technical Tinkering
  L# Pre filter problems Help required please.
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePre filter problems Help required please.
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
Because of the Shrimps I have had to use a pre filter
as per link FILTER BAG
As you can see it is large if you look closely you can see the muck on the white bag. But what you cannot see is that the bag is sucked onto the filter tube.
The Photos show the intake tube for the HOB.
After three days the filter flow was down to very close to ZERO.
Now for my question/suggestions how do stop that from happening other than cleaning it every second day.

Make a lot more holes with a hot wire/nail all up the tube.
Cut the bottom part of and still make holes.
Fill the bag with a filter media just passed the slotted holes so that the bag can not get sucked on.

I have a spare tube and I am prepared to have fun with that one.

I am open for any goood practical suggestions.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Attached Image:

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Dec-2008 11:01Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Close up of tube slots

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Attached Image:

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Dec-2008 11:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
i would take a small 12 oz or 8oz water bottle. then cut its sides with long large slits so the bottle is really just a frame. could prolly go as little as just 4 plasic legs on the frame no thicker then a pencil.

leave the bottom intact with a hole cut in the middle so there is frame work that connects all 4 legs. then just slide the bottle into the bag then slide over the intake.

this should keep the bag fully inflated with very little lost to blockage of the frame itself. will prolly look alot neater also.

just keep in mind it will be flimsy and if thats an issue you gona need something with a harder plastic. highly doubt the shrimp will crush it though lol
Post InfoPosted 24-Dec-2008 16:26Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
male usa
EditedEdited by Sin in Style
I happened to have a 8oz water bottle so i went ahead and made one up. took me about 5 mins with a razor blade. heres a pic.
http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2965146230053844551yEhYDH
Post InfoPosted 24-Dec-2008 16:43Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
I personally don't think that there is a practical solution
to your problem Keith. It's inevitable. If you put a
prefilter on the tank filter, the same material designed
to keep out the small shrimp, will also keep out same
size particles of detritus. How fast it will clog up
will depend upon the tank maintenace, feedings, etc.

It is a 45L tank, with small tetras and shrimp. I would
remove the current external filter and replace it with
a couple of inside sponge filters such as these:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3953&pcatid=3953

Easy to clean, and a snap to maintain, they will filter
that tank and provide the necessary circulation.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 24-Dec-2008 16:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
male usa
EditedEdited by Sin in Style
ya i was going to suggest just placeing a sponge over the intake itself or go with sponge filters all together. i read pratical as cheap so i tried to think of some really cheap sollution.

if money isnt the issue i would go with a airpump with 2 sponges like frank suggested. sponges will grown micro bits for the shrimp to feast on too.
Post InfoPosted 24-Dec-2008 17:54Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
The biggest problem is space the intake fits very close to the corner and the Anubias grows around it.
If it continually becomes a problem I will do a complete pull down and install a UGF by doing that there will never be a problem.
The only problem with that the small Crypts do not like being pulled around too much, not a problem with the large crypts not even the slightest growth set back each time I have moved them. Several years ago those tall crypts at the back was just one small plant I received as a traveller with the Val I received from Lindy

It is a matter of pushing the Anubias back to fit the tube in.
Money is not the problem at all over the years this little tank has cost me a fortune so a few dollars more is nothing the bag only cost $9.00

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 25-Dec-2008 01:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Frank I have a small sponge but hole too big and sponge too big as well.

Sin your idea using that bottle is way to large BUT it got the old brain ticking. I came up with a small fish food plastic bottle. I cut the top off then I burnt a hole into the bottom to allow the intake to fit through. I then placed some scoria in the bottom of the bag this should keep the filter bag away from the bottom of the bottle.
Set it up and all going OK its is either that or the UGF which I will have to set up very quickly as I am expecting a lot of those small crypts, and I do not want to replant them twice with in a week or so.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Dec-2008 01:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
Keith what I have done in the past is to get a block of that Black filter medium. Cut it to the size I need. I measure about 3/4 of an inch higher than the hole in the suction pipe. I than soak it in water, if you can find something that it fit into even better, an than freeze it. after it frozen drill a hole into to fit the pipe. Let it thaw out and you have a fry/pre filter. I will not clog as fast as a sock but it will still get clog. In my fry tanks I let it run alittle dirty. I wash them out about every two weeks.

Hope that helped

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2008 23:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
dj richie
At the moment I have a small sponge that has a hole through it, which means still the filter bag. As soon as I can I will be buying a black course filter sponge. Instead of drilling a hole I will cut a slot or a X slot and forcing the tube into that.
As you can see I am persistent and will not give up until I get it exactly right.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2008 03:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies