SubscribeResealing Tanks
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
I need advice about resealing a Tank. Are there any articles or such on this? Any help will be appreciated.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2007 02:01Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Fishrockmysox
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 12
female usa
I just resealed a tank(well, my mom did). It's a pain in the BUTT! If you don't have muscle, don't try to do it because to squeeze the tube it takes a LOT of strength. Mom resealed all six sides of the aquarium, the sides, for the most part, look horrible and 3 of them still leak!

It's hard, and I suggest that you do it quickly. And wait for 2 days before you try out the seals.

OH btw, make sure you only do the sides that are REQUIRED. Mom could have done just 1 side and it would have been set but no she thought it would be easy-pesay-lemon-squeezy and did all the sides. I don't suggest doing un-needed sides.

10G- 6 Zebra Danios, 1 Upside Down Catfish
20G- 1 Goldfish
72G(maybe95)- Need Stock suggestions
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2007 04:23Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
Kudos: 292
Votes: 51
female australia
My ex resealed a tank for me once.. he squeezed it on the edge first, then wet his finger and spread it out evenly across.. you could try that .. there are instructions on the pack.

make sure you get aquarium safe silicon!
and wait for a couple of days before you test it.

Truth doesn't always win friends but it influences them
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2007 07:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishrockmysox
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 12
female usa
And one more thing. Don't go to your LFS or Pet Store and buy silicone for $8 when you can go to Wal*Mart and get it for $4 to $5. Just letting you know that, no need to spend extra money even if it's just $3 to $4 dollars =]

10G- 6 Zebra Danios, 1 Upside Down Catfish
20G- 1 Goldfish
72G(maybe95)- Need Stock suggestions
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2007 13:22Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mobeyjack
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 4
male usa
Remove as much of the old sealent as you can with a fresh razor. Clean the seams will alcohol. Use masking tape to mask off the glass, just expose the seams that your resealing. Run a 1/4 bead of silicone into and along the entire seam. Now with your hand in a rubber glove use your index finger to press, smooth, and taper the bead of silicone into the seam. Remove excess! Make sure the sealant is tappered all the way down to the masking tape, that way when you remove the tape you won't have a raised edge. Remove the tape as soon as your done, this will give nice clean edges and keep the sealent under control. Let cure, and then test for leaks! Good luck.
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2007 17:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
Here is a site Lysaer posted on the chat forum, because we were talking about resealing tanks and I could not find a site that gave good instructions: So here are two:
http://aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=107

http://www.articlefishtalk.com/Article/How-to-Completely-Reseal-Your-Glass-Tank-by-Thaiboxer/146

I like the first one better it has pictures.

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2007 18:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 57
Votes: 2
male usa
Thanks for the credit DJ! You didn't have to do that

Logan: When you reseal, make sure you use fish-safe silicone, like it says in the articles. And check the outside of your tank for nicks or chunks in the edges of the tank as well, especially around the bottom. Even if you've got the inside sealed well, if you have any broken edges of glass around the seams of the tank, that will weaken the stength of the tank. You can fill those in with the same silicone and it will help, though I recommend using something stronger like liquid nails (only on the outside though).

Listen! Do you smell that?
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2007 20:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
male usa
thanks Guys, I always keep Aquarium Silicone handy you never know when it will come in handy. Also thanks for all the advice and one more question. The tank I am getting hasn't held water for two years, Its been sitting in a living room of the guy I am getting it from, so no real big Temp fluctuation's.

I am of course going to test it outside first for several hours to make sure its seals are good but would you reseal it anyway even if the seals hold?

My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2007 23:06Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 57
Votes: 2
male usa
there are two sayings that come to mind: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But the second may be more applicable: What could it hurt?

Seriously, in this hobby, you stand to lose more if a seal is weak, and blows later, and you miss an opportunity to reinforce it.

Listen! Do you smell that?
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2007 15:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
male usa
Thanks guys for your help. The article was just what I was looking for, and Lysaer your right I will reseal it anyway. Thanks guys.

My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2007 15:25Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies