L# Simple Problem with Eheim 2217 Filter
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSimple Problem with Eheim 2217 Filter
todash19
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 49
male usa
A few weeks ago, I bought an Eheim 2217 Classic as I'm converting from an HOB set-up in order to reduce bubbles on the water's surface (going from low light set-up to C02 injection). Anyway, I went to open up the top in order to remove the carbon filter and the lid is sealed so tightly that I cannot budge it. Any ideas? Thanks,
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2009 17:03Profile PM Edit Report 
DeletedPosted 01-Jan-2009 19:44
This post has been deleted
Hooben

-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 219
male usa us-texas

I used to have to disconnect my cannisters from the tank and sit them in a bucket. This made it easier and less of a mess to pry open with my bare hands. Sometimes disconnecting them from the tank, will free the suction that is preventing you from opening the seal.

Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2009 02:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Has the filter been used at all if not take it back immediatly. What it is the seal could be dry and has stuck and if you break the seal you will have to replace it at your expense. If it has been used disconnect it from the tank and run hot water over the join. Be extremely careful when pulling it apart same reason as above.
When you put it back rub a little vaseline (petroleum jelly) over the seal ring this stops it sticking not to sure of what you call it over there Babel will know.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2009 04:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
When you put it back rub a little vaseline (petroleum jelly) over the seal ring this stops it sticking not to sure of what you call it over there Babel will know.
haha Kieth you got it right...

I believe I have the Eheim 2213. Something that I have found is that it won't open if you have the valves on the quick disconnects closed. When you unplug the filter you need to turn all the valves off. You can then disconnect two sets of valves. Once they are disconnected open up the ones that go to the filter. This will relieve the vacuum.

PS: Post up some pictures of this planted tank sometime!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2009 23:21Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
todash19
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 49
male usa
Thanks for your help, everyone. I did figure out that draining some water out of the filter, released the pressure and the lid came right off. This was a brand new filter so I was just not used to it.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 06:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Glad you worked it out, Eheim is a fantastic filter and usually 99.9% trouble free.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 07:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies