Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhat A Whopper
snowball
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
male uk
Well this might not sound like much but i have just upgraded my 19.4 imp gallon tank to a huge 105.6 imp gallon beast its now my pride and joy (taken me 5 years to persuade the missus to let me have one) The problem is i want to use an undergravel filter system as i have tryed all other systems and i personally prefere this system but i need to know or would like some help on what sized air pump i will need, how many ltrs prh in short.
any help would be fantastic.

regards snowball.
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2006 21:46Profile PM Edit Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
With that large a tank and an undergravel filter, I'd suggest using powerheads instead of air. Hagen makes some decent aquaclear powerheads that are simple, reliable, and shouldn't be too expensive. If you're dead-set on using air, you'll want a piston-type air pump. They are a bit noisy, but super-efficient. You can get the power of two or more large gasket-type air pumps out of one of these, and they'll be less expensive.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2006 22:03Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
snowball
-----
Small Fry
male uk
I dont suppose you would know roughly how many litres per hour i would need first from the air pumps and\or from the power heads based upon 4 uplifts. you see i dont want to spend a furtune and get it wrong and then spend another fortune getting it right.
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2006 22:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
EditedEdited by illustrae
Hrm... Not being overly familiar with the imperial system, or what kind of equipment is available to you... I think 200 lph would be more than adequate for 4 lift tubes. Converting that to US gallons, though, you'd be lucky to find powerheads that small
For the air pump, a piston-powered air pump looks like something that would come out of a car. I'm not entirely sure how powerful it would need to be, but I'm certain you could find one that has 4 output nozles and you could power all for lift tubes with the single pump.

Overkill isn't necessarily a bad thing when it comes to filtration. You want to turn over all 100 gallons at least 4 times per hour, so each powerhead or whatever you attatch to your lift tubes should be able to turn over 100 gallons per hour by itself.

I hope that helps.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 01:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
I'am not sure but I think that might be around 125 US gallons. I can't remember what the biggest powerhead is but I'am sure that you can get some big enough to do the job. Have you thought about connecting 2 uplift tubes to 1 and use 2 powerheads instead. (lot of current going on there) Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 05:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Welcome to the world of UGF many say they are trouble yet I have used them for over 30 years and never a problem.

I have my 5ft fully UGF. there are two risers each powered by a large Rena air pump. I gave up using the stone air stones years ago. Now I use a small plastic air (stone) it screws appart for cleaning. 110% better that those stone types.

I also have a large Eheimm Pro11 as well as two 4ins ceramic airstones also each its own air pump.

I think you better stop calling the better half as the "misses" get her involved and you will see what I mean. 30 years married life speaking.
What is the size of the tank ins/cm please?

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 07:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
snowball
-----
Small Fry
male uk
Thanks for all the help. Just so we all know i have tried and tested both ugf and external filters and also internal filters.
I have been keeping fish for nearly ten years now but nothing of this size. Im definatly sticking with ugf as i find it most reliable and plant life seems to do far better.
you see i need to think about cost of running aswell. hence do i use powerheads or air pumps.
As for the question of size 72x24x24, i got my calcilations wrong on my gallons stated earlyer. The table i am using doesnt go up to the tank size i am having made.
Hope i havnt annoyed to many people.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 23:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
I agree with using power heads instead of air stones in the
risers. The power heads are much more efficient and of
course move more water through the UGF.
One thing you might want to think about is the number of
risers that you use. In many large tanks you could have
4 or more risers. If each was powered by a pump, that would
be one heck of a lot of turnover and could impede
the growth of any plants.
Decades ago, when I switched from air stones to pumps,
I was advised to cut the number of risers by half.
That is, cap off the two center holes and put pumps
at each end. I've done that through many tanks
right up to the one tank I have today. It has been set up
with a UGF and in this case (a 30G tank) only one riser
and a pump. I have 3-4 inches of Flourite substrate and
a lush green jungle. Too much water flow past the plant
roots will impede their growth and in some cases, kill the
plants.

Just remember to keep the fish load down, and clean
the unplanted areas with a Python style siphon and
you won't have any problems with the filter or the plants.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 02:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
snowball
-----
Small Fry
male uk
Looks like its power heads then Much neater, Well thankyou everyone you have all been a MASSIVE help and mt mind is now set. AT LAST two risers and a couple of high quality power heads.
Cheers guys\girls
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2006 16:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies