SubscribeWhich Canister Filter Is best?
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 14
Votes: 1
male canada
Hello,
ok I am looking to upgrade my Filtration system in my tank. I have previously posted saying that my current system is underpowered for my tank. My current system is an emperior biowheel. which can only handel up to 80gal and my tank is 110gal.

First off, I am looking at a few Eheim Products either the pro 2 2028, or the wet dry 2229, what are the advantages of using a wet dry system to the regular canister setup. I would like to expand my tank to more of a live planted tank setup, and possibly in time even convert over to saltwater.. i am trying to think longterm.

Secondly, what else could i add to my system to help with my current filtration setup? I dont have the space / room to add another biowheel.. and i dont think that they are as efficiant as a canister filter ( i could be completely wrong) Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Shawn
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2006 01:42Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
You asked which is best at least you have that correct Eheim.

I have never seen the W&D Eheim but I think several members use them. You might consider posting another thread asking about the Eheim W&D
As far as the Pro11 only one problem I have to place my hand on it to see if is working correctly it is that quiet. I do a full cleaning monthly for better results, I also have two of the top very fine filter pads for that final filtration. A perfect filter as far as I am conmcerned. I would have still bought it even if it had cost more.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2006 05:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Eheim makes good products, and its canister filters are more efficient than any hang-on-back or in tank filters. You would do well to go with the Eheim brand, as all of the people I've asked so far have been satisfied with their Eheims.

As for the wet-dry filter, that's something normally reserved for saltwater setups, but it can certainly be used in freshwater as well. A wet-dry sump provides extra water volume for a tank (giving you more margin for error with water parameters) and allows for a place where equipment can be used. The heater, thermometer, and other equipment can be placed down below in the sump where they won't detract from the fish and other things in the actual aquarium setup.
Sumps also do a good job with filtration by themselves.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2006 14:39Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
Ok great, I am just thinking longterm if i get a new filter system i would like it to do saltwater too... ill look into that again. thanks for your input.

shawn
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2006 15:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lrooth
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
I upgraded my fresh water tank two years ago and my LFS recommended a wet/dry. It has been great for several reasons: LOW maintenance, once every six months, change out the enclosed filter pad. Crystal clear water, no carbon, easy access for medications, thermometer, pump. Quiet! Simple and very sturdy parts.... no worry about snapping a plastic part. Easy clean. The fish thrive!

The only down side.... it took some PVC pipe, coupler and glue to get it connected under our counter. Overall, it is absolutely fantastic filtration system.

Lucy
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2006 16:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
Hello Lucy, thanks for your input on this, and you have now thrown a wrench into my plan LOL. I guess i have to figure out what would be better for me in the long run. And if the cost of getting a wet/dry vs canister filter is really worth spending that extra amount. Ill have to look into it some more. thanks again tho

Shawn
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2006 17:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 192
Votes: 4
female usa
All of my tanks are equipped with Fluval cannister filters. My 72g has a Fluval 404, which I believe is the largest in the Fluval family. I have a 304 in my 60g and 204 in my 20g.

I started out with an AquaClear (hang on the back of the tank-type) filter. I found it difficult to maintain because of being located next to the wall.

The Fluvals that I have are EXTREMELY quiet. While they take a rocket scientist to assemble, you won't be sorry, IMO.

I would think that two 304s or 404s would do the trick for your tank size.

Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you choose
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2006 21:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
I got thye Rena xp3 over the Fluval only because of the setup options it comes with. Up and running for about a month now and I'm happy with it.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 08:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies