AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Technical Tinkering
  L# Will a buzzing stress out my fish?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWill a buzzing stress out my fish?
Cortrell
Fingerling
Kudos: 14
male
My tank has been running quite a while without an aeration pump. Just yesterday I made my own aeration pump out of the air pump that powered a mini filter I got with a tiny 1 gallon tank that I use to quarantine fish. I just ran the tube under the gravel and then under a few large rocks so the bubbles would be spread out. The only place I could but the air pump is directly on the tank cover. It vibrates, of course, and when I put my ear to the tank it seems to buzz throughout the entire tank. My fish have been looking a little agitated since then. Is that from the newly added bubbles or could the noise be aggravating them?
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2010 11:55Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I'd say it's the noise.

If there's a way you can redo it so that it's not on the tank cover that'd likely be best. You could also try placing something to pad the surface of the tank. I've used old mouspads before. The thick cushiony ones not the smooth thin ones. Small hand towel or a thick sock may also work. Just make sure there is still some air circulation around the pump so that it does not overheat.

Additionally you can try turning it off at night. I dont' run an air filter on my tanks. Instead I use the splash from the outflow of the filter to agitate the surface.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 04-May-2010 23:29Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cortrell
Fingerling
Kudos: 14
male
I folded up a bandanna and have been using that and that seemed to fix up the noise. I like your mousepad idea though, I actually have one lying around.

I'd rather run this air because if my water was low enough that the filter did what you described, the water level would be below my lining at the top and that just doesn't look too good. Know what I mean?
But thanks again!
Post InfoPosted 05-May-2010 02:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
It would be the vibrations that are causing the problems and eventually will cause a lot more stress on the fish.

You have two choices either dont run the air pump or work out ho to put it somewhere else.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-May-2010 03:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I used to hang my air pump from a nail under the stand. It had drip loops and one way valves, so it was as safe as I could manage having it below the water line. Suspending it stopped the vibration problem completely

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 09-May-2010 14:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
An insulating buffer or allowing it to hang work perfectly... somehow they rubber feet that the come stock with don't disperse enough of the the vibrations to them to be effective in their "group efforts..."

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2010 07:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
Calla you are the MacGyver of the aqua world.

Your fixit skills leave me awestruck!

Babel's mouse pad is a great one too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2010 12:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies