Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe How to Fix a Cracked Hood.
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
After i received a 55G tank for my Christmas gift i opened it and in all the enthusiasm and excitment i made a careless mistake and cracked the glass of the hood which protect the light.should i be worried about this and if a little moister go in there will it matter or only if it like direct water contact.the glass isnt like fallling out or anything it just has a crack, and i put scotch tape over it just incase, but know the tape is wet and looks on the verge of peeling off.what do i do?
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 04:00Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
silicon is heat resistant, what sort of light is it?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 05:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
i dont know it was a 55G starter kit from walmart so i know its not a uv floral light or anything.its not flourescent either, well i doubt its flourescent.im thinking incadescent.so silicone, and where can i get it the harware store?also what r the safety precautions as the tank is already upo and running and i kinda need the hood on as the oscar jumps.
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 05:54Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
To be on the safe side take it out and go to a place that sells and cuts glass. This will be the best option in the long term.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 07:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
i dont know of anywhere that cuts glass.i live in a small new hampshire town, bbut my hardware store may have the silicon . is silicon safe for fish? isnt that used to seal aquariums?
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 19:33Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
The aquarium safe silicone will work but it could start to break down because of the heat of the light. Ask at the hardware store there must be some one in your town that sells glass if not what happens if some one breaks a window.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2008 01:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 31-Dec-2008 02:28
This post has been deleted
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
what about my lfs would they have the silcon for aquariums
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2008 02:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Glass would be a better option for something like incandescent, but silicon is a step up from scotch tape

You are looking for plain silicon, I think there is a GE brand over your way that has no mould inhibitors etc. It will say "safe for aquariums" or similar on the packet.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2008 03:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
ok so basically GE is general electric, if its the same GE your talking about? and if so i most likely can get it at walmart or the hardware store.thankyou
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2008 03:42Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies