L# Technical Tinkering
  L# air pump problem
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribeair pump problem
ztb23
Hobbyist
Kudos: 137
Votes: 0
my tetra 60 whisper pump is moving very little air. ive replaced the air stone and it did not fix the problem. could it be that the filter is clogged? or could it be a malfunctioning part?
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2014 10:11Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited 06-Feb-2014 23:01
Hi,

Be sure that the air hose is not crimped. If you purchased the gang valves that I discussed with you in an earlier post, check to be sure that the adjustments have not changed. Go back and start anew adjusting the valves. Open the one to the filter, and the others. Then start to close the valves not connected to the filter. Eventually, the air will start to rise up from the filter. That will probably start when you have nearly all the valves except the filter valve closed.

If it is the air pump, the air pump is a diaphram type pump. If you take it apart you will find a strip of metal is connected to the center of a circular black rubber diaphram. The strip is connected to a magnet, and that is in within the alternating magnetic field of a coil of wire. The AC, alternating current with its changing magnetic field causes the strip with the magnet to wag back and forth ( vibrate ) the circular diaphram will eventually develop cracks and let air escape. Also there is a small diaphram (flapper valve) at the bottom of the chamber that the diaphram is connected to, that could be sticking or have developed a crack as well. They are easy to repair and the parts are readily avaiable.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2014 22:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ztb23
Hobbyist
Kudos: 137
Votes: 0
turns out it actually was just a kink in the hose. theres a lot of slack hose hanging down behind my stand that got tangled in cords. thank you for the quick reply.
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2014 18:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies