# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# The Hospital
  L# *Help* *Help*
Subscribe*Help* *Help*
Banned
Kudos: 2
Votes: 1
all my tank parameters are in check.the problem is my ocal petco sold me so sick fish.2 out of the 4 have died.they are called something like saddle back or camel back clown fish and the lady said they would be fine if i just floated the bag in my community aquarium for 15-20 minutes. my other guppies, swortails, and neon tetras are fine.i just NEED to know why they are sick.i dont want to lose anymore they cost alot.what is the problem?!!!?
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 01:19Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Saying all that is not enough to even think about giving you a correct answer.
First you should read this first

If you just bought them I would take them straight back.

Just floating is no where sufficient enough when introducing any new fish. A litle of the tank water must be added very slowly to adjust the water in the bag. This should bring the water in the bag very close to the water in the tank. I usually float and add water for at least 30-45 min before I even think of introducing the new fish.
If they were sick as you say have you contacted the shop.
Finally the correct name is extremely important.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 02:29Profile PM Edit Report 
Banned
they are saddle back clown fish.another died, and the other is getting pushed around by the current
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 03:27Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Are there any signs of illness other than the deaths? redness? fluffiness? lumps etc?

Are they saddleback clown loaches?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 06:56Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
From what I remember both large chain pet stores in the states have a 2 week money back guarantee. I'd look at taking the ones that have expired back to the store. Ask for a cash refund only. If they insist on replacing the fish, see if you can get store credit (use it for fish food) and find yourself a much better store. From the sounds of it they willingly sold you sick fish just to get them out of the store.

I've seen plenty of the chain stores selling fish from tanks where most of the fish were dead. I turned right around and walked back out!

We'd need to know if they are clown fish which are saltwater fish (think of nemo) or clown loach fish which are freshwater fish.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 10:40Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Banned
they were clown fish and the store had them in fresh water tanks
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 19:43Profile PM Edit Report 
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 31
Votes: 34
male usa
Bring a water sample to get your refund. I had very bad luck with Petco and haven't bought fish from a big store since. Small local places are better and more fun to go to.

Saint Paul, Minnesota USA 20g Freshwater Started June 10th 2008
-> Tank Info In Profile <-
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 22:50Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Saddleback clownfish are saltwater fish and will die if placed in freshwater.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 00:00Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
male usa
sounds like the lfs knowingly sold you saltwater fish, but it may not be there fault did youtell them that you had a freshwater tank?
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 03:13Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
EditedEdited by Callatya
If it was this type of fish:
CLICK then it is saltwater.

If it is this type of fish:
CLICK then it is freshwater.

Can you give some more details on the tank? What size is it? what filter do you run on it?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 04:48Profile PM Edit Report 
Banned
it is the first fish.all my fish in the tank are dying.what do i do now.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 06:53Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
there isnt a whole lot you can do at this moment....too bad for the fish you already had. when the saltwater fish died did you remove them promptyl?if not the decaying matter is probably what killed your freshwater fish.try and bring your SW fish back, and i would demand a refund.after that never use that store again, and tell others not too.word of mouth spreads and goes aong way.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 06:55Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Oh dear

I'm guessing you don't have any test kits for ammonia or nitrite (if you do, can you test those please?), but given the recent deaths I'd say both of those will be up. Is the water cloudy? if you smell it, does it smell a bit sharp?

I'd consider changing about 30-40% of the water to try and dilute what is likely to be in there.

If you have any bio-spira, I'd add that also.

feed the fish about 1/3rd of what they normally get and do not switch the filter off at night or anything like that (I don't know what filter you are running, but all filters should run 24/7 and especially after something like this).

Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 07:13Profile PM Edit Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
mmm,sounds like your in some trouble buddy,as said above if you have test kits,get testing,atleast this will give you some idea,do the water change,add some bio booster as callatya said.also we really need to know more b4 we can help you,give us as much info on your tank,filter,fish,water parameters,genrall up keep of the tank,how much water you change,how often you change.etc.etc.then we can narrow things down,and perhaps have a more exact idea of whats wrong...
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 10:36Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble, starting out in the aquarium hobby can be tough.

What you're probably going through is a dose of New Tank Syndrome. In a nutshell, fish produce ammonia, which is toxic. Bacteria can convert ammonia to nitrite, which is also toxic. Luckily, another type of bacteria can convert nitrite to nitrate, which is far less toxic. The problem is, in a sterile new tank, you have none of this bacteria.

I recently set up a 55 gallon tank and was doing daily water changes to cut down on ammonia. I also fed a little less, even skipping some days, so that the decomposing food or the fish's waste would in turn add more ammonia.

You can also buy a bacteria additive. Bio-Spira was mentioned. I have also heard that Seachem Stability is effective.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 09:51Profile PM Edit Report 
Edith
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 30
Votes: 0
female canada
Small fry If you said it I am sorry but how long have you had your tank? And how big is it? If they sold you salt water fish that is so sad
sorry about your lost

edith
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 18:00Profile PM Edit Report 
Banned
ive had my tank up and running for 6months, but to no avail somehting always happens &nbsp;ty for me.im sick of this hobby and screw fish.stupid lfs
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 18:52Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
you shouldnt really give up the hobby because of some dim witted lfs employee, just be more aware. it was an error on there part for selling you the fish, but anerror on your part for not knowing it was a SW fish.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 18:54Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Banned
i decided im going to buy an easy fish to breed like my old mollies and let them breed until my tank is over run with fish, then flush them all down the toilet.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 18:59Profile PM Edit Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Why don't you sound like a twisted little troll! Unfortunately, you did not research the fish before you purchased it. But you should not take it out on the new fish you purchase. The local fish store personel may not have known what type of tank you were planning to put it in or maybe didn't know much about the fish (not his/her usual department or just new to fish). There is equal responsiblity for the death of your tank. I'm sorry for your loss, but don't take your grief out on innocent parties. That's just mean. If you decide to get more fish, window shop first, then give us a post about what you would like, and then we can tell you if it's likely to fail or succeed. In life nothing can be promised, but it is a learning process. Also you have to take care of your tank, always check you parameters etc. I'll be quite now.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 20:22Profile PM Edit Report 
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies