L# Angel Fish injury
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAngel Fish injury
Teri
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 43
female usa us-arizona
I have a lovely 5 inch angel who has the skin peeling away from the top veil. It is from the tip to about 1/4 inch down and trailing. Cartelige (sp?) is in place, but skin is pulled away. Doesn't appear to be in pain or acting erratic. Do I leave it alone? Medication? Haven't a clue how it happened...he's an agressive boy and irritates others. Have 1 platy, 1 knife, 3 corries and an additional angel in a 29 gal tank.
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2011 19:01Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Melafix will help with the healing process. I'd also suggest extra water changes each week till it's healed. Leaving the lights off for a day or two can also help since fish see it as night time and rest more.

What type of decor do you have, most often fish will injure themselves on a bit of driftwood or rock or other tank decorations simply from darting away from something. Make sure nothing with sharp edges is in the tank.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2011 00:06Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Teri
Small Fry
female usa us-arizona
Decor is all "soft" live plants. Would think somebody nipped him, but it is in such an odd (to me) location. To give this med, do I need to isolate him or can I let him be in the tank with everyone else - they all seem to leave him alone.
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2011 03:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Melafix is fine for everyone, it's barely even a medication. It's in a big blue bottle at your LFS or most pond supply stores.

He may have hit up against part of the filter, or even the top glass in the tank. It does seem an odd spot though, I agree with you there. We've had similar happen to our oscar, but he tends to jump at the lids quite a lot.

It should heal well enough on its own, having as perfect water quality (to prevent against septicemia) and adding the Melafix should help.

Don't be surprised if you get a lot of bubbles in the tank after you dose with it, it does make the surface look a bit like a bubble bath, smells good too!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2011 03:39Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Teri
Small Fry
female usa us-arizona
Thanks so much for the help - he is such a beautiful marble I would be very sad to lose him!
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2011 21:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Teri
Small Fry
female usa us-arizona
Added the meds. Have now isolated this poor boy. Cartelige is exposed 1/2 inch with skin completely gone (perhaps eatten). Haven't got a clue what has happened. Anything else I can do? I am inclined to believe his top veil isn't going to grow back!
Post InfoPosted 05-Aug-2011 21:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Not much else I can think to do.

Keep the lights low to prevent stress, and water as pristine as you can keep it. Smaller more frequent water changes are better than single massive ones.

How did you isolate him? Is his hospital tank fully established? Any amount of ammonia or nitrIte from the cycling process is going to cause him extra stress.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2011 03:48Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Teri
Small Fry
female usa us-arizona
Put him a tank I usually use for breeders, but is currently empty (guess everyone took summer break for making fry). Tank is well established and out of the traffic zone. His attitude is as obnoxious as always If he starts acting depressed I will put his mate in with him. Haven't got a clue as to what is going on. Ah, well.
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2011 04:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Teri
Small Fry
female usa us-arizona
EditedEdited 10-Aug-2011 04:01
Gonna try to post two pics of this poor guy. The "brown" on the top veil is the cartiledge, it is now all the way down to his body. Fine picture won't post. sigh
Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2011 03:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
EditedEdited 10-Aug-2011 22:57
Teri, try clicking on the aqurank logo in the upper right of the screen then post.

Or post a link to it on phototobucket.com or other photo hosting sites.

Used to be only premium members were able to post photos, but since Walk My Plank pays for fp server costs now anyone can so long as they vote for us.

If it is advancing it sounds like it could be more than just a tear. Might be bacterial but that's past my areas of expertise

^_^

Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2011 22:56Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Teri
Small Fry
female usa us-arizona
Further down the road with my brat-boy fish, and it looks like the fin/veil maybe starting to recover alittle bit. At least the deteriation has stopped. If he behaves another week, I may put him back in with his buddies. Still don't know what caused all of this. Ah, well, one of the continuing mysteries of fish care. It may be that he found a way to do this just to bug me
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2011 03:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Glad he's showing some signs of improvement The fact that he's hanging on is promising!

Keep doing what you're doing, I'd hold off on transferring him back if you can, keep up with extra water changes and treatment but wait till he's healed up a bit more before you stress him with moving him back.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 21-Aug-2011 00:50Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
clark5901
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
Thanks for the nice post dear...

Guaranteed [url=http://www.braindumps.com/200-001.htm]200-001 dumps[/url] exam preparation with help of [url=https://www.lpi.org/]LPI[/url] questions
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2013 10:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies