Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBetta has white lump on gill
Plasmax
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
EditedEdited 05-Mar-2010 22:43
Hi,

So I went to feed my betta Rupert this morning and discovered that he has a white bump on his gill, which also seems to be a little flared. It seems too large to be ich, and it's the only bump he has. In my alarm I did a 40% water change this morning and dosed some melafix as my best guess at the time was it was a bacterial infection that didn't look fuzzy.

It is a 2.5 gallon hex. Normally I do ~40% changes biweekly but I was thinking of moving to one larger water change weekly because I didn't know if the biweekly changes were inducing too much stress. Lesson learned the hard way I guess.

Also, there is sediment buildup in that I am assuming came from the tap water I was using to do the changes (water was a little opaque when I put it in the aquarium, and at the time I incorrectly assumed it was from off-gassing from using API Tap Water Conditioner. I have discovered this is only from my bathroom faucet and will be using the kitchen sink henceforth.

Water Params:

2.5 gallons, room temp as I haven't been able to find a small enough heater. (68 deg. F) Tank has been running since September and was cycled before I put Rupert in around October.

pH 6.8
Ammonia slightly ~0? (It looks close to but not exactly zero. I'm a little confused as nitrites are 0)
Nitrites ~0
Nitrates ~5ppm

Pardon the water spots on the glass. He hides at the back of the tank whenever I whip out the camera.

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2010 22:42Profile PM Edit Report 
Plasmax
Small Fry
Oh! Almost forgot! He is the only one in the tank with some strands of Anachris.
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2010 22:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Plasmax
Small Fry
Update: Well, after putting him in the little kritter keeper to do a gravel rinse I was able to get a better look at it. Seems that he's scraped himself against something in the tank and got a cut. The white thing is some scales/dead skin that didn't fully detach. That's a bit of a relief.

I've removed the suspected rock and will continue dosing with melafix to prevent infection.
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2010 18:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I wasn't sure what it could be, but glad to hear that it's turning out okay.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2010 19:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Plasmax

At least you know it is not a major concern.

Have a good look around your tank to see if you can find any sharp objects so that it does not happen again.

With your water change I would change about 30% twice a week reason being Rupert is in a small tank.

I do a 30% twice weekly for my 45Lt cardinal and CRS tank.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2010 05:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies