SubscribeBristlenose with Concave belly
gunk
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 1
male australia
Hi,

I have a bristlenose that has had a very concave belly for a about 5 days now.

He is about 4 years old and there have never been any issues before. I have two other bristlenose, one is a juvenile peppermint and they are both fine, as are the rest of the fish. He is still very active and eating well but starting to look very flat/thin.

I'm going to get the water tested tomorrow and will post the results but does anybody have any ideas and should I put him in a seperate tank?
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2008 18:11Profile PM Edit Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Are you sure the one with the concave belly is a male? I know my female will get a concave belly after laying eggs. If you have had the fish for 4 yrs then you should see some bristles for sure.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2008 23:17Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Sounds like it is wasting away. If the BN is eating and still showing those signs it sounds rather strange.
Can you post a photo this certainly will help.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 31-Jul-2008 02:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
gunk
-----
Small Fry
male australia
Sorry I say 'he' but I'm pretty sure only my peppermint is male and the two standard bristlnose are female.

Belly got even more concave for a couple of days, enough so that you could see the internals of the fish pressing against the skin. Not so bad now but still doesn't look great.

Unfortunately I can't send a photo just yet.

I feed them live blackworms, frozen bloodworms, sinking pellets and finally zucchini once every month or so as a treat (lots of people keep telling me to use cucumber but they just don't touch it and go absolutely nuts over the zucchini).

All three catfish readily eat whatever food I put in, doesn't seem to be any loss in appetite or activity.

Could it be a parasite?
Could it just be old age?
Post InfoPosted 04-Aug-2008 18:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
If your old regular BN is a female and you added a male they might have spawned causing the caved in belly. Do you see your male on a regular basis? If you don't he might be guarding the eggs and fry in a cave somewhere.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2008 23:11Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
gunk
-----
Small Fry
male australia
I don't think Ancistrus dolichopterus can breed with Ancistrus hoplogenys can they?

It was the very day I put the peppermint male in the tank that I first noticed she had a concave belly.

Seems to be getting better now anyway

Been about 4 years since I last lost a fish.
Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2008 05:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies