Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCamallanus!!!
klspink
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
Hi!!
I'm a fish fanatic and during a move accidently mixed my guppies with my angels and gourami tank mates! since doing so i have spread this nematode through my three other cichlid tanks and major infestation in my angel/gourami tank:
all my tanks are 275L and am wondering what to do??!! A'm waiting for a call back from a vet tonight after a huge run around because my stockist isnt allowed to sell the medications anymore. really upset as i have to batches of fry in two separate cichlid tanks and dont want to lose them!!
anyone got any tips?
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2006 09:27Profile PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Not much over the shelf medication will kill camallanus, it might be time to bite the bullet and go to a vet, who even if untrained with fish will be able to source fenbendazole, levimasol, or at a risky push ( and definately a last resort) get you some ivermectin. It'll cost cash but what else are you gonna do? You might be able to source any of those drugs over the net.
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2006 01:37Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
kmlubahn6609
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 127
Votes: 2
female usa
you can try some antiparasitic fish food made by Jungle. It has three types of medications that help with nematodes (I had them once)

I've got a fever... and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2006 06:11Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

A few years ago when I had that problem, I had to go for something a little more heavy-duty than typical fish wormers.

I went to a feed store and got a tube of horse wormer, the main ingredient of which was Levamisol I believe, and gave it to the fish. All of the infected fish, with the exception of one gourami, were badly infected and not eating at all so they had to be destroyed. The other healthy fish, however, ate the medicated food. I believe that while the medication did not cure the infected fish, it stopped it from spreading even further.

Also, to avoid this problem in the future, you may want to find out where your fish are coming from. Tropical fish bred in Southeast Asia seem to have this disease more than any other kind of fish (from my own observations). Fish bred in Florida rarely have Camallanus, and I have never seen any wild-caught fish arrive with it.

Of course, once a fish is exposed to an infected animal, it has a high risk of becoming infected regardless of whether it was captive-bred or wild-caught.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2006 07:19Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Yeah, camallanus are hell to shift, a lot of low impact meds wont touch them, and often by the time they actually protrude from the anus they have done significant damage to the fish and are preparing to breed, hence the need to nail them asap with a powerful med. Leave treatment late or underdo it and the fish die, simple as that. Camallanus are not to be underestimated.
Post InfoPosted 18-May-2006 08:31Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies