SubscribeCockatoo Cichlids...DEAD!!!
m_acontreras
Small Fry
Kudos: 17
Votes: 2
male usa us-texas
EditedEdited 22-Feb-2010 10:57
Hello all,

I was hoping to get some information or reasons why two of my cockatoo cichlids have for some unknown reason died. The two that died were in the tank for about two months. One died last weekend (a male) and the other this weekend (a female). Remaining in the tank are 5 discus (average size maybe 3 inches), one male cockatoo cichlid (about 1.5 inches) and four ghost shrimp. The discus seem to be doing just fine and so does the remaining cockatoo. It is a 200 liter tank in which I perform a 25-50 percent water change every three days. Water temperature is kept at 32 degrees celsius. The water parameters are currently at 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrIte and 8 maybe 10 ppm nitrAte. The pH level is at 6.2 or so. I am running two filtration systems...one of which is your typical over the top filter and one D-1 Vortex Diatom filter. The diatom filter gets cleaned every time a water change is accomplished (every three days). I have ADA Amozonia dirt substrate (that gets cleaned during the water change) along with two rocks and two pieces of drift wood for the landscaping. The first of the two cockatoos (a male) was very inactive for about three weeks before it finally died. It didn't swim around or eat much and spent most of it time resting on the substrate. Then finally one day started floating on it's side. The one that died today (a female) was more active, and seemed to be fine although it didn't eat a whole lot. And then out of nowhere I found it floating around the bottom struggling for life. One thing i did notice about the first cockatoo before it died was that the pectoral fins looked like the webbing had been torn. I don't know if that's an indication of anything. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm certain it wasn't fin rot since the fins weren't shortened. The pectoral fins on the fish that died today all looked fine. The pectoral fins of the remaining cockatoo in the tank are a little beat up but not nearly as bad a the first fish that died. And as stated earlier the discus look great and appear to be doing fine. They are actively eating and swimming. Any assistance, information or suggestions are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Michael
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2010 00:45Profile PM Edit Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
32 deg celsius is way to warm for Cockatoo Cichlids and most discus fish. Certain discus require a temp of 28-31 deg celsius so your tank is still on the warm side even for them. I do believe this to be the cause of death. Have a look in the fish profiles section and research the fish you have that is where I got the info for the temp of the fish you mentioned. I have never kept discus or cichlids before but 89 to 90 deg Fahrenheit is a purdy high temp for fish.
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2010 07:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
m_acontreras
Small Fry
Kudos: 17
Votes: 2
male usa us-texas
EditedEdited 21-Feb-2010 11:24
Lowlight,

After checking into the profiles section as you suggested along with another trusted site I look into regularly, you would be correct on the water temperature...I don't know how but I messed that up during the conversion from celsius to fahrenheit. Thank you for pointing that out.

Michael
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2010 10:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Probably 30deg celcius is about as high as you want to go for discus, but I keep my discus a bit cooler - say about 28-29. The only time you'd put the temp up 32 is during some medications - even then, I haven't had it that high.

Sorry about your cockatoo deaths

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2010 14:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 11-Oct-2010 05:27
This post has been deleted
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies