Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeColloidal Silver
jacksprat
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
australia
Has anyone used colloidal silver in their tanks as a medication?

It has fantastic anti-everything properties that work on land.

Could it be a very safe all round alternative?!

400L (4x2x2) 3 silver sharks, 3 clown loaches, 2 blue gouramis, 2 siamese flying fox, 1 sucking cat, small schools of golden danios, white clouds, golden widow tetras, R&B columbians and a sucking catfish
Post InfoPosted 30-Sep-2006 23:13Profile PM Edit Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk

Er, you might want to take a look at this site detailing possible human health risks with this product before letting it loose on your fishes ... not to mention the fact that several of the manufacturers have been defendants in litigation brought by government health agencies in the USA and Australia because of the vastly inflated claims made about their products (frequently with no backup whatsoever in the form of laboartory testing or clinical trials). You might like to take a look at the photograph of the guy who took the stuff (found part way down the page).

You might also want to take a look at this guy who took a home-brewed concoction in the mistaken belief that antibiotics wouldn't be available during the Y2K crisis that never was, and was dubbed "the first true blue candidate" as a result of the changes in his skin tone.

If I were you, I'd take that stuff to the nearest public analyst and hand it over for safe disposal. I CERTAINLY wouldn't let it anywhere near your fishes.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2006 20:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
jacksprat
-----
Small Fry
australia
Point taken.........but too much of anything can kill you. And then they can preserve you in white spot treatment, isn't that formaldahyde?

400L (4x2x2) 3 silver sharks, 3 clown loaches, 2 blue gouramis, 2 siamese flying fox, 1 sucking cat, small schools of golden danios, white clouds, golden widow tetras, R&B columbians and a sucking catfish
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2006 23:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
If you mean treatment for the Ich parasite when you talk
about the "white spot" disease, the normal treatment is
to medicate the tank with a copper compound. Copper is
deadly to the parasite.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2006 08:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jacksprat
-----
Small Fry
australia
EditedEdited by jacksprat
My white spot treatment has both copper/mal.green and formaldehyde. But I'd drink silver before formaldehyde!! (and I do find it a very useful addition to my family medicine cabinet)

Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2006 12:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
My White Spot treatment is Protozin. As far as i'm aware, it contains neither copper nor formaldeyhyde. In the case of formaldehyde, if that was present, I'd be able to smell it.

Here's the manufacturer page for protozin.

They have a a copper based medication in their range - called Cuprazin.

Basically, if a treatment hasn't been subject to clinical trials, AVOID IT. Clinical trials aren't conducted for fun - they're conducted to determine if a medication is safe to use. After all, there are plenty of substances that will exterminate pathogenic bacteria, but you wouldn't want to drink many of them. Sodium Hydroxide solution will destroy bacteria, but if you drink it, you'll end up in intensive care being stomach pumped. Penicillin on the other hand, used in accordance with medical guidelines, will kill the bacteria without leaving you permanently damaged, unless you're one of those unfortunate individuals with a betalactam allergy, in which case macrolide antibiotics or aminoglycosides are used instead.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2006 15:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies