L# Cut up mbuna?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCut up mbuna?
cichlidl0ver
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
Votes: 3
male canada ca-ontario
Ok. I have no idea whats happened. Things had been going well in my 30 gallon until i added some java fern. The tank had been stocked with 2 mbuna and 2 stinging cats and it had been cycled for 3 weeks. Then right after I added the fern, 2 days later and my female mbunas eyes have bulged slightly and her mouth looks cut up. Shes cut up all over her head and shes breathing pretty fast. Shes lost her apetite and is a little shy now. She still has all her colour. I think the eyes have to do with the fern but im not sure. The cuts I think was my male, i've noticed him biting at her sometimes. Any ideas?
Water parameters: ph:8.7 ammonia:0 nirite:0 nitrate:3 temperature: 78 f
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2010 21:02Profile PM Edit Report 
cichlidl0ver
Fingerling
male canada ca-ontario
ill try to upload pics soon.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2010 21:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
The only possibility I can think of is that you imported a nasty when you put the java fern in. Is the Fern attached to any thing sharp. If so have a very close look and run your hands over every bit of it.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2010 00:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited 10-Jan-2010 01:08
I agree with Keithgh sort of... I think the java fern may have harbored a nasty bacteria or parasites. BUT, I also think that the male may have given the female a wound that the nasty through which could attack her by. You may have to separate the two until she recovers (just use a separator or fish box). Give a mild antibacterial to the whole tank, like Melafix. See how well it goes, if she gets worse you will have to move fast with stronger meds and a separate tank altogether.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2010 01:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlidl0ver
Fingerling
male canada ca-ontario
im going out to get melafix tonight and hoping for the best. shes definetly looking better though
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2010 00:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Your numbers are good but I'd still do a WC before doing the melafix. If you did bring something in with the java fern getting fresh water in will help a bit. Just be extra careful with matching the water temp, don't want to go stressing out your girl when she's already under a lot of stress.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2010 23:18Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies