L# Do Tails Grow Back?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeDo Tails Grow Back?
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 0
male usa
I have a Gold Barb that had it's tail chomped down to the bone by other tankmates. It is completely gone. I finally moved it to a new tank where it can be on it's own. It can still swim by wiggling it's rear end a little more but it just looks bad to see a tail-less fish. Will a new tail grow back? Does it take weeks/months? Is there anything else i can do?
Post InfoPosted 28-Apr-2006 19:10Profile PM Edit Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
If it's as bad as it sounds (down to the bone) it won't grow back. If you have a bit of tail left it should grow back with good diet and water quality. Some Melafix would help prevent an infection and promote healing. Good luck : )

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 28-Apr-2006 19:19Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlid crazy
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
female uk
A tail will grow back if there is a small amount of it left, but if it has all gone past the 'point of no return' it won't.
We had a large and very naughty Tropheus Dubosi (Evil Edna) and had to put her in a tank on her own because she kept attacking everything, her tank got damaged and she had to be moved overnight into a tank with my Amazonian Pufferfish and 2 Australian redclaw crayfish (Ronnie & Reggie) - next morning she had no tale, she'd attacked 1 of the Crays and learnt the hard way not to.
1 part of her 'nip' was down to the bone and it bled for several days, we treated her in a weak solution of Methelene Blue (spellings wrong) and even applied it directly via a cotton bud - her tale completely grew back but it took a few months.
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2006 04:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
I have a betta that had to share its tank with a keyhole who was getting beat up in its tank...one night and the betta was almost a completely fin-less fish Obviously the keyhole got moved, but I treated the betta's tank with Melafix and today he's almost a normal-looking fish. It took quite a while but it was worth the effort.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2006 00:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 0
male usa
Well now i don't have to worry about it growing back. Sadly, the Barb died yesterday.
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2006 04:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
I'm sorry to hear that Brian

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 03-May-2006 14:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Aqua Newbie n MS
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 1
male usa
I had a female swordtail who lost about 1/3 of her tail to an aggressive tankmate. I isolated her for about a week and applied antibiotics. Her tail returned to it's normal shape in a month or so and several months later it looks completely normal. Sorry to hear about your Barb...

Post InfoPosted 05-May-2006 23:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
A completely de-tailed fish will often die of exhaustion within a few days even if there is no secondary infection.

Sorry for your loss.
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2006 10:57Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies