Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFinless Albinos ???
ufgradufish
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 27
Votes: 0
female usa
I have got 3 kinds of corys in my tank, green, julie, and albino. Within the last month both my albino cories have lost all of their fins. they struggle to swim with precision but otherwise seem to manage ok. It has not effected the other cories so I am certain what this is. Its obviously not contageous accross dif cories but has effected both albinos. Is anyone aware of this condition or disease? I will not get albinos in the future due to this but uncertain as to what has caused it because they were normal for the last year up until now.

Feedback is appreciated
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2006 23:45Profile PM Edit Report 
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 339
Votes: 18
male usa
Do you have any other fish besides cories in the tank? I have had cases where other fish would nip the fins off of my cories.
Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2006 02:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Needeles
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 65
Votes: 52
male usa
EditedEdited by Needeles
Do you have any other fish besides cories in the tank? I have had cases where other fish would nip the fins off of my cories.

I agree some other fish like to nip at fins. I myself have not heard of a specific problem with these cories losing there fins. Have you changed anything in the tank in the last month or so? What are your water prams? What is your maintanence like for the tank? What other fish are in the tank?

I would put them into a QT for the time being and start treating them wih some Melafix as per the intructions. Maybe even go with half doses for the first couple days. If they by chance have a fin rot problem this should help and give them time to heal. If it is I believe that the fins should grow back alittle.

I myself have a pepper cory that lost most of it's top fin for some reason. I treated it and now it is back to full health. A good amount of it's fin has grown back and it is very active again.

Live life to it's fullest
Who knows what tomorrow holds
Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2006 02:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ufgradufish
-----
Enthusiast
female usa
other fish include 2 angels, bolivian ram, and some rasbora tetras.
all have been in same tank for about a year.
none of the others seem to be sick.
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2006 03:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 339
Votes: 18
male usa
It is very possible that one of the angelfish is the one fin nipping. In my tank my angel nipped the fins off of my cories as well.
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2006 04:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ufgradufish
-----
Enthusiast
female usa
No fin nippers really, the angels only pick at eachother, and it is only the albino cories that have no fins. I have 5 others that still are in tact. Very strange. Im just letting them wobble around, they appear to be getting by alright...
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2006 23:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stuff_gnome
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 382
male usa
It all depends on how the fins started to disappear. Fin rot generally either looks like a slow even dissolving of the fins or the fins start to rip apart into strands. Fin nipping usually looks like holes are being cut out of the edges or like someone took a cookie cutter to the fins. But often times constant fin nipping can lead to fin rot.

It has been my experience that because cories spend most of their time near the bottom of the tank they often susceptible to bacterial infections since bacteria likes to multiply in gravel beds and in stagnant areas under, in and around ornaments or plants.

I agree with the hospital tank, though melafix on its own does nothing for a bacterial infection. Melafix promotes healing and helps prevent further infection but an antibiotic should be used if fin rot is suspect other wise its a waste of time.
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2006 03:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies