Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFish gills red
justin84
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 30
Votes: 20
male usa
So all of my fish have red gills. They seem to be fine besides the gills. They have all been living in my tank for at least a month and some for a few years. What causes them to get red gills?

55gal Tank:130 watt coral lights,Eheim Wet/Dry 2227 Canister Filter,Powerhead, Co2 Injection and a heater.
Post InfoPosted 24-May-2007 04:10Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Lots of stuff can cause gills to inflame and become reddened, from ammonia and nitrite, high nitrate, fungi, numerous bacteria, gill flukes and protozoan parasites. Sometimes even gaseous levels can have an effect on gill tissue, overgrowth in gill tissue is often noted among a few fish and amphibians living in low oxygen saturation conditions.

Since this reddening is not proving immediately lethal, I would check water perameters are ammonia and nitrite 0 and nitrate under 40ppm,and staying consistantly that way, not subjects to spikes. if thats ok , try a general mild antibacterial like melafix, after that it gets complicated, and we'd need pictures and possibly some history on the fish, whether quarantines were ever performed etc. Complete species stocking and numbers etc.

Look for brown or white discolouration on the gill tissue, and any raised or reddened veins on the fish, and white patches between the gill and the forefins and tell us what you see.
Post InfoPosted 24-May-2007 18:53Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
justin84
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 30
Votes: 20
male usa
Stats of my tank are:
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10
PH 7.2 (Just added Co2 though so thats prob going to change)
Nitrite 0.5

55gal Tank:130 watt coral lights,Eheim Wet/Dry 2227 Canister Filter,Powerhead, Co2 Injection and a heater.
Post InfoPosted 25-May-2007 22:25Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
The nitrite reading no matter how tiny may be agitating the fish, so work on eliminating that first, and see how it goes.

If the problem persists after that, the other information asked for really will be needed to give clues for diagnosis, and good photographs really help a lot.
Post InfoPosted 28-May-2007 03:25Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies