L# Glofish (Zebra Danio) Big stomach, sluggish
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGlofish (Zebra Danio) Big stomach, sluggish
wilp
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
Hi,

I have had my Glofish (zebra danio) for almost 5 years. I know, I know, he's getting up there. However, lately he has a large belly and is just hanging out at the bottom of his tank. It's upsetting since I've had him for so long. I do not overfeed him, in fact he is in the tank alone and has been for his whole life.

Is he sick? Is there anything I can do? I've been trying to feed him peas, and he swims up and eats them - he'll never miss a meal. Just lately, he's been concerning me. It doesn't look like dropsy since his fins aren't pineconing.

Can I do anything or does this just sound like he's about to die?
Post InfoPosted 24-Sep-2012 14:00Profile PM Edit Report 
wilp
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
He lives in a small, 2 gallon tank. I plan to change 50% of his water this afternoon.
Post InfoPosted 24-Sep-2012 18:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Not the best living conditions, but right now isn't the time to change it.
50% water change is a good place to start, make extra sure you are matching the temperature of the new water to what is in the tank, use a thermometer not your finger. Also be sure you're using a good quality water conditioner and when you pour the water back in do it slowly. Too much water

movement all at once will just toss the little guy around.
After the water change, keep up with the peas, if he's not pineconing he may be constipated and the peas help. Try to keep an eye on him to see if he's actually pooping (gross, I know, but helpful). 5 years is getting on in life for a fish, especially one kept in a smaller tank. Hopefully he pulls through and you can resume your normal feeding schedule, I'd still offer him peas once or twice a week.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 26-Sep-2012 01:51Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
broken850
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
I'd do a waterchange and a dose of melafix to start with before going with more intense treatments.

Do you have a hospital tank you can set up for him

Thanks
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2012 12:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies