Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGoldfish problem
Tracie-Maree(NZ)
Fingerling
Kudos: 4
Votes: 5
female newzealand
Hi everyone,

I have just started up my new tank. It has 6x baby goldfish and 8x mountain minnows in it. I have a internal filter and a bubble filter also some live plants.

I noticed that today one of my wee goldfish appears to have some missing fins . He has a very small tail compared to the others and when you look at him he doesnt seem to have a dorsal fin (if he does it must be tiny). He also only has very small set of pectoral fins and doesnt seem to have any pelvic/ventral fins.. Is this normal?

Do you think the other fish maybe eating him? If so should I put him in a separate tank for now? I have only had the fish for 2 days so It may have come from the LFS like that.. Should I take it back?

Any help for the wee man would be great!

Thanks...

Tracie-Maree
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 06:24Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
you could quarantine him for a bit, and do a treatment of melafix
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 06:54Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Tracie-Maree(NZ)
Fingerling
female newzealand
I think I might have to. Could this be some sort of disease that could spread to the other fish? I have looked close at the others and they all seem fine..

I might head back to the LFS tomorrow and talk to someone and see what they think and also to pick up some melafix.

Thanks

Tracie-Maree
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 07:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Tracie-Maree(NZ)
Fingerling
female newzealand
Ok so I came home to put my fish in quarantine and he was suctioned to my filter So he is a goner

Im off to the LFS tomorrow to get a treatment for white spots as I looked at the rest of my fish and they have spots Definately not doing to well with the fish so far

Tracie-Maree
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 11:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Finrot is a general symptom that can be any number of things, but if the other fish aren't already showing it they probably don't have it. Being ripped apart by tankmates is rather likely. I find it odd, however, that only one goldfish would be picked on out of 6.

As far as ich meds go, I prefer some of the dye-based ones (ie. malachite green) as opposed to copper-based ones (ie. copper sulfate). Perhaps the preference is partially personal, but still...

You should also consider a bacteria additive such as Seachem Stability. Since your tank is new it's likely not cycled yet, which is an issue that'll add to the stress of being sick.

Don't be disheartened, however, starting out is the toughest part of the hobby, once your tank is stable its relatively smooth sailing.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 13:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Tracie-Maree(NZ)
Fingerling
female newzealand
Hi Shinigami,

I'm off to the LFS this morning to get a treatment for white spot so will see how it goes. There doesnt tend to be anyone at the pet shop that is any good with answering my questions... So I may as well ask them here as you all seem to know alot more than them.

Will this white spot treatment be safe for my mountain minnows as well in my tank that arent (touch wood) showing signs of white spots? Only 2 out of my 5 remaining fish have spots...

Also, do you think that because one of my fish was getting attacked its likely that others will? What is a good number of goldfish to have? The guy at the LFS that served me told me that 6 goldfish was a good number to have together... Perhaps not?

Can I dose white spot treatment and a form of beneficial bacteria together in the tank or should I do it seperately? Should I also do a quarter water change before I dose the fish with the treatment?

Sorry for all the questions but I know if I go to the LFS they will have a part time worker on who wont know a thing about fish and I want to save the rest of my wee fellas!

Thanks

Tracie-Maree
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 19:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
most gold fish dont come in the best condition to the lfs then they dont get treated right cuz they are gold fish..... they dont think to highly of them even if they make them money. I would personaly go for more of the white clouds..... do u know the temp on ur tank?
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 20:27Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Tracie-Maree(NZ)
Fingerling
female newzealand
Hi riri1,

Yeah noone seems to like goldfish which is a bit if a bugger but never mind I like them they are definately fun to watch

I actually wouldnt have a clue what temperature my tank is at. It would be room temperature by now but I dont know what temp that is either. Sorry

Tracie-Maree
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 23:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
yea cuz gold fish are cold water fish they like the water a but colder then most other fish same with the white clouds. so if ur room isnt extreamly warm i think they are fine on the temp issue. wat size is the tank again?
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 23:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Tracie-Maree(NZ)
Fingerling
female newzealand
The rooms definately not warm. Well its warm but not warm enough that it should affect the tank.

The tank is 108L which is roughly 28.5ish Gallons.

Tracie-Maree
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 23:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
yea it wouldnt get that hot when its that size.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 03:05Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies