Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGoldfish with cloudy eye..
Littlecatjoe

---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 587
Votes: 3
canada
Alright all you oldtimers, don't fall over or anything, yes it's me....

I have a comet that is giving me some grief. I have just found them (I have 3) a great home in a nice outdoor pond that sounds like goldfish heaven, and one of them comes down with a case of cloudy eye... The gal that is taking them is willing to wait for it to clear up but I am having a devil of a time getting it to go!! I have done 2 treatments of Melafix and nothing...

Does anyone know if could maybe be a bacterial infection that is causing the eye to cloud or something? I've only ever had issues with fungus, and it never takes long to clear up. I could be on the wrong track and I'm just too stuborn to try something else , OR maybe they don't make Melafix like they used to?? I haven't had to use it in ages....

Geez this post makes me feel kinda dumb- can't even clear up simple cloudy eye!!
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2009 21:41Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
EditedEdited by Mez
Protozin may do it, as may amoxicillin capsules. Careful not to OD.
If its not been too long and the water quality is OK, id probably leave it for a week or so to see how it develops. It may clear up on its own.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2009 02:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Littlecatjoe

---------------
Fish Guru
canada
EditedEdited by littlecatjoe
Hey James, long time no see.. err, talk to!!

Thanks for the info, I have been trying to keep on top of this tank as I knew the fish were going to someone else really soon, but it is another case of the fish getting too big for the tank and I feel horrible..

After the second dose of Melafix was over I have been trying the "wait and see approach", but now the biggest one has also developed some reddening and inflammation around his gill covers and on his bottom lip and I feel it's time to treat the tank for a bacterial infection..

It's almost like they want to stay here or something!
I honestly can't imagine why they dont want to go to some sweet outdoor pond...
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2009 04:02Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Littlecatjoe

---------------
Fish Guru
canada
Just an update...

I decided to continue the "wait and see" approach to the tank and the reddness cleared up on its own, except for a tiny bit on the end of the gill... The cloudy eye thing didnt change a bit, never got any worse but never went away either. The gal who was waiting for them decided to take them anyway and take her chances, she promised to keep an eye on the eye problem. I think they will do fabulous, and the bigger size of the pond should help tremendously! She has sent me pictures of the pond and the fish swimming in it, I am happy, it is a sweet setup!!

So there you go.. Sometimes it is indeed better to wait and see if things clear up on their own before dumping chemicals in willy-nilly for every little thing... Of course, goldfish are tough as nails, well the common comets are anyway.

Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2009 22:31Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Good deal,
Hopefully it will clear up fully on its own, goldfish do have that tough of nails nature about them.

Always good to hear about goldies getting themselves into ponds.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2009 09:05Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies